To provide gist, scan and detailed reading practice using a text about Nightmare journeys in the context of Telling a story
To provide fluency speaking practice in a story telling in the context of journeys.
To provide clarification and review of journeys lexis in the context of a story.
Procedure (25-42 minutes)
-I use the pictures to set up the context. I am going to show pictures not in the correct order, and stick them on the board. I try to elicit some words such as travel, journey, check in, airport and etc. Students should try to complete the puzzle and make a relevant story for pictures. -In the end of this stage I'll show them the picture of a traffic jam and ask them about traffic in Istanbul.
- while providing students with the context, I show the picture of traffic jam and try to elicit the word. * CCQ: are there too many cars on the road? Yes * drilling + modelling * I write the word on the board. - I will ask these questions to elicit the word "Luggage" * where do you put your belongings ( stuff ) when you are on a trip? and show that with my body gesture. * drilling + modelling * boarding + I will explain that luggage is uncountable noun and we can not say luggages, instead we can say for example 3 items of luggage. - I am going to teach nightmare by referring back to my context and ask them: what is the best word for my experience? And in the end I stick the title of reading passage on the board: "nightmare journeys"
- I explain that Jutta wrote a story about her journeys. - I'll give instruction for the activity: * you have 4 pieces of colorful paper, they are Jutta's sentences but they are not in the correct order, read them quickly and put them into the correct order individually. ICQs: Are these pieces of paper in order? Are you going to read and put them in order quickly? - Then I hand out papers. - After 2 mins they should check the answers with the partner. - I provide them with the correct answer. ( reading passage)
- I'll give them the instruction: * I am going to give you some questions, you have time to read the story and write down answers individually. * Are you going to talk about questions with your partner? * do you have time to read the story again? - then I give them handout #1 - In the end they have time to check their answers with their partners.
- I'll give them the instruction: * you have 5 minutes to read the story again and answer true/false questions individually. ICQ: are you going to talk with your partner? are these matching questions? - In the end they have time to check their answers with their partners.
- they have time to talk about their "Nightmare journeys" in their groups. - I'm going to change the seat of one person from each group.