CELTA TP 8 Nov 1
• To provide a good reading text that will stimulate discussion surrounding an interesting topic and will be useful for language acquisition and fluency speaking practice.
• To provide accuracy speaking practice in discussion using descriptive adjectives (vocabulary) and reviewing movies that moved students.
Procedure (32-44 minutes)
• Teacher will share a clip of the movie (The Secret Life of Walter Mitty), a movie with amazing scenery. The scene is a longboarding sequence where the character, Walter Mitty (played by Ben Stiller) is travelling by skateboard through beautiful green landscapes. The movie captured Iceland’s alluring natural beauty. It has inspired many people to visit the same location and shoot a video of themselves skateboarding. • Teacher to elicit responses from students. What did they like about the scene? What kinds of words can they use to describe the landscape, the scenery? • Teacher to ask students to work in pairs and share what films they’ve seen that they found beautiful. • Teacher to ask students to share their opinions with the class.
• Teacher will give the students the descriptive words and then have them match the definitions. Create two teams and see which group gets it done first. • Teacher to clarify any words that the students may not comprehend referring to the language analysis (vocabulary).
• The following text is about 3 movies that moved people to travel to those locations. • Teacher to ask students to scan the article and guess the name of each film and where it was filmed. • Students to write the name of the film next to the numbered gap and the name of the country in which it was filmed in the gap in the texts. • There are many clues both in the texts and photos to help SS identify the films and country. • Teacher will provide a word cloud with the three film titles and countries on the board to help the students. The Beach, Thailand Out of Africa, Kenya The Lord of the Rings, New Zealand
• Teacher to provide the students with the following questions: Which film (s)…? 1. had three parts 2. were based on a book 3. was set at the beginning of the 20th century 4. was set in a place where later there was a natural disaster 5. was filmed in a wildlife park 6. didn’t win an Oscar 7. was a romantic film 8. was directed by a man born in the country where the film was made • Teacher to ask students to compare their answers with a partner’s and check their answers. 1. The Lord of the Rings 2. All three films 3. Out of Africa 4. The Beach 5. Out of Africa 6. The Beach 7. Out of Africa 8. The Lord of the Rings
• Teacher to upload kahoot game with 12 questions related to the vocabulary learned in the lesson and movie trivia. • Teacher to ask students to join kahoot.it and play the game. • Teacher to tell students to do their best in answering the questions. This will be a fun game to recap what they have learned.