Grammar "comparatives and superlatives"
To provide clarification and practice of comparatives and superlatives in the context of technology.
To provide fluency and accuracy speaking practice in a freer practice activity in the context of an invention from the last 100 years.
Procedure (41-54 minutes)
- T shows some pictures - S speaks about the pictures - And then T shows two pictures at the same time and wants students to compare them using adjectives and the word 'than'.
- SS look at the reading text from previous lesson. - show two adjectives underlined in the text. - want students to find the same forms of adjectives in the text individually. - SS check their answers in pairs. - give feedback by reflecting the answers on the smart board.
- ss look at the adjectives they found. - want ss underline the words before comparatives and superlatives. - elicit one example for them. - give quick feedback by getting answers from ss.
- With guided discovery, ss have 2 exercises. - first divide the class into 2 groups and give instructions to ss. - give one of the gap-fill handout that is a kind of a race - show mixed glued adjectives on the wall - want ss to choose the correct adjective for each form. - elicit one of the adjectives. - who fills the chart correctly is the winner. - give answer key to each group check their answers. - give second handout that includes short two rules of adjectives used with quantifiers. - work in pairs - reflect the answer key on smart board to get ss to check their answers. - ask CCQs about the first and second handout -drill examples of each structure. -do back-chaining.
- explain instruction of the handout - reflect the rules of adjectives used with quantifiers on the board. - ICQs - elicit an example - rewrite the sentences individually with quantifiers in parenthesis. - check answers in pairs. - give answer key to the pairs.
-divide the class into two groups. - give instruction before the test. - give 3 questions first group and another 3 questions to the second group. - try to complete the sentences with the prompts in brackets. - change the papers and check each other's answers. - give the answer key to each group to check their answers.
- ss stay in the same group. - think about an invention from the last 100 years and how it changed our lives. - get ss to remember using comparatives and superlatives. - groups talk about it - one person from each group changes place with the other group member to discuss sentences. monitor and takes notes - give feedback about their error