A1 Elementary level
Vocabulary - describing physical appearance (use of adjectives)
Speaking and listening - describing people
Procedure (36-48 minutes)
• T sticks two pictures of models on the wb and asks Ss to describe the physical appearance
• Ss with cards try to find pairs of opposite adjectives. • Ss stick the pairs onto wb-T elicits words (6 pairs of opposite adjectives)
• Ex. 1, pag. 28: match the adjectives in the box to the pictures
• Correction of the ex. above on their own
• Ss listen again and repeat the sentences. T stops the recording at the end of each sentence.
• Ex. 3, pag. 28: 3 lists with height, age, looks on the wb. With different colour the words middle aged, medium height, average-looking, pretty. Ss in pairs write the words under the correct list • FB with the T
• Ss think of famous persons for each category and write the names on a paper: A handsome film star A young sportsman A beautiful singer A fat man An ugly politician A thin actress An old writer • In FB Ss read few examples, T writes down 3-4 sentences in order to use them as examples • T focus: “Adjectives go before the noun”, “Adjectives do not have a plural form”
• Ss in pairs take it in turns to say names and guess categories from the exer. above Example: Nikole Kidmann. Is she a thin woman?
• Projection of the picture pag. 28. Students work in groups/as whole class to brainstorm ideas and predict a story.
• Ss listen and they have to answer to the questions: Where is Brian? What does Valerie talk to Brian about? • Talk in groups, FB as a whole class
• Ss listen again and match the people to the pictures • FB in pairs
• Extra pictures of people are handed out to Ss and each one describes his/her picture to the partner. Or • Game: “Guess who I am describing from the class”