To provide writing practice of a postcard in the context of Travel / holidays.
To provide gist reading practice using a text about travel in the context of holidays
Procedure (38-48 minutes)
- The teacher shows a picture of a famous city. - Context setting: - Is this place in Tunisia ? NO - Where do you think this city is ? - The teacher shows the postcard. - SS will guess from the stamp. (Czech Republic)
- Brainstorming: students generate ideas related to holidays - Students write names of places where they spent their last holidays on a paper. - The teacher sticks their writing on the wall. - Students take turns writing questions an each others' papers.
- The teacher will rely on the previous writing of students concerning their last holidays and asks students to underline in their friends' copies verbs in the present simple, present continuous or simple past. - There will be no major language focus at this stage. Major errors will be rectified in the delayed feedback stage. - The teacher uses the board for three different examples to highlight the difference in form and clarifies meaning when necessary. - Drilling
- After the brief language exposure in the previous stage, students should be able at this stage to fill the gaps in the postcard. This exercise serves as a model for their next productive skill task. - The teacher demonstrates the first example to encourage the students find the right answers. - Instructions should be very clear. - Answers are checked in closed pairs. - Answers are checked later on the answer key.
- Students will rely on the model provided for them (postcard) - Each one of the learners will write a postcard to a friend from the group. This is to personalize their pieces of writing and make the task an interesting activity for them since they're going to share their personal experience.
- Correct and drill mispronunciation - Check understanding of the aims of the lesson.