SKILLS\ LISTENING LESSON
To provide gist, detailed and specific information listening practice using a text about on Living in Space.
To provide fluency speaking practice in a on a conversation. in the context of space
To provide scan reading practice using a text about Living in Space.
Procedure (48-60 minutes)
-T projects some pictures of space by the Hubble Telescope - SS try to give as many words as possible about the space. - When SS find the words related with the next exercise such as "space", "astranout", "spacestation", and "space walk" T writes on the board. elicits meaning and concept checks. - T hands out some gist listening questions on the video. - SS forms 3 or 4 groups. - T projects a short video on a space station showing the astranouts and how they live. - SS discuss the questions with their friends. - T monitors and give delayed feedback.
- T hands out the text in task 2. - T elicits the meaning of interview. - T asks students what would they like to ask if they interview an astranout. - SS discuss possible questions. - T adds these questions to the board. - SS say what they think the answers are. - T states the next task is about an interview with an astranout.
- T spreads some general questions for gist listening. - T states that SS will only search for the answers of these questions. - T turns on the listening. - SS try to answer individually. - SS discuss in pairs. - T monitors.
- T mentions some of the problematic questions. - T throws a paper ball to an individual and gets the students to answer them and explain why they chose it. - T hands out the answer sheet for the SS to check in pairs. - SS asks more questions if necessary.
- T turns on the same listening text - SS will try to take notes about several easy questions. - SS take notes individually. - After listening SS compare answers with each other. - Then SS form 3\4 groups and help each other. - SS discuss with each other. - T monitors.
- T spreads answer sheet to SS. - SS check answers and compare with pairs. - T gives feedback for the problematic questions.
- T gives SS an opportunity for a freer activity. - T hands out some questions for SS to discuss further. - SS in pairs read a subject and speak about them in a mingling activity.
- T uses the notes for monitoring. - Chooses some sentences of the SS. - Ask the SS why do you say that? - T elicits the correct sentences.