To provide gist, scan, detailed and deduction reading practice using a text about social online groups in the context of their activities.
To provide accuracy and fluency speaking practice in a brainstorming and free speaking in the context of social online groups and their activities
Procedure (39-49 minutes)
- write some online groups names on the board. - brainstorm and lead in - ask students what they are and how many online groups they know.
- show the 4 pictures of the reading text to students. - SS speak about the picture. - stick 4 sentences on the wall. - want students to match them with the pictures.
- give SS the worksheet including paragraphs and titles. - SS skim the reading for gist and try to find the best title for each paragraph. - check their answers in pairs. - a student from each pair tells the correct title to whole class.
- divide the class into 4 groups with 3 students. - explain that SS are going to do a dictation activity in the form of a race. - give the reading text to each group. - tell them that there are some words' meaning outside of the class. - a student from each group runs outside, picks up a definition and goes back to his/her group to find by scanning what the meaning refers to in the related paragraph. - the group writes the word on the same paper. - continue until SS have found all the words. - the first group to finish all words correctly wins. - drill the words individually and chorally.
- write 'do sport' on the board. - elicit which one is verb and which one is noun. - show mixed papers which verbs and nouns are written on. - stick the colorful headings 'verb' and ' noun' on the board - want student to choose a verb and a noun. - match them as a collocation and stick them correctly under the colorful papers.
- teacher shows a box full of nouns and a ball. - choose a student by throwing the ball. - the students takes a noun in the box and throw the ball one of his/her friends. - then the student holding the ball say the verb of the noun. - continue until the nouns are matched with a verb.
- divide the class and the text into two groups. - give the first part of the text to first group and the second part to second group. - the groups answer the questions related to their paragraphs. - three students from each group change places. - the new comers speak about their text and questions other group members.
- monitor the students. - give feedback about their wrong answers.
- put the students in pairs. - say them to form a online group. - teacher chooses a pair. - the pairs speak about their group.