TP8 - Vocabulary - Describing people: character
Upper Intermediate level
To provide clarification, review and practice of adjectives in the context of describing people's character.
To provide practice listening for specific and detailed information in the context of describing people's character.
Procedure (37-51 minutes)
- Project on the board the picture of Mr. Bean. ask Ss: do you know who is he? What do you think of him? Elicit w/c answers. -Project on the board the picture of Steve Jobs. ask Ss: do you know who is he? What do you think of him? Elicit w/c answers. - Project on the board the picture of Queen Elizabeth. ask Ss: do you know who is she? What do you think of her? Elicit w/c answers.
- Project the slide with Catherine, Angelique and San. ask Ss if they know who are these people: Are they famous too? no - Prediction - Based on the photos, ask Ss about their first impression on that people: How do you think they are? Are they shy? or happy? or talkative? - PW - 2 minutes. - - Tell Ss that they will watch the video to check if their predictions were right. Ask them to make notes too (how these people describe themselves?) - GIVE HO1 ICQs: Are you just watching or making notes? (making notes) FB - PW - Check answers Elicit answers from the Ss Give the script to check the answers.
- Show slide 3 All the words that we read in the script... 'Are they describing a noun or a verb?' (noun). 'So, what are they?' (adjectives) - Slide 3 Ask Ss CCQs for the words on the board (Follow Language Analysis). Drill for pronunciation. - Instruct HO2 - PW - Duration: 3/4 minutes FB - Correct together with Ss. Ask pairs to write on the board their answers. W/C FB - Ask CCQs for some words. *Ask: What is the difference between sensitive and sensible? feeling emotion or reacting emotionally / being able to reason well
- Ss will play a game called 'taboo' to clarify and review some describing character adjectives. Whole class: divide Ss into 2, 3 or 4 groups. One person from each group will read the tips, each group has one chance to tell the word (starting from the cardholder group). Mark the points on the board. ICQs: are we going to read the first line out loud? (no) are we going to read the tips one by one? (yes)
- Ss will describe themselves: - How can you describe yourself? Are you clever? sociable? reliable? think about 3/4 things and make notes: explain why or give examples. Think about a negative character as well. - Give Ss extra worksheet with pictures to help on this stage. - Duration: 2/3 minutes. - Small groups - Ss share their opinions and check what they have in common. Teacher monitors for delayed error correction. - Duration: flexible (depends on the time) FB - T asks if they share any similarity or something that they didn't expect from each other. If time: write down some good sentence and an error. Ss correct.