TP6- At the market - Grammar Lesson - Sonia
To provide practice in the context of shopping for food
To provide practice listening for specific details.
Procedure (41-53 minutes)
- Ss discuss pictures of an old lady and a young one speaking on the phone; guessing the relation between them, where they are and what they are exactly talking about.
- After having found out that Sally and her mum are checking food items for the dinner Sally is going to prepare, T gives examples of questions (2) using there is and there and elicits answers from the Ss, -Open pairs: Inviting Ss to think of more questions
- Ss sit back to back holding different pictures to ( market + fridge) to enact the dialogue between Sally and her mum who's at the market. 1- Explaining the activity 2- Demonstrating with the whole class 3- Handing out the pictures. 4- Asking 2 ss to perform the dialogue 5- Ss start speaking - Looking at the Grammar Spot in groups to work on the question completion. Ss stand up to check the other groups ' work
- Ss take turns to respond to the just completed questions. - A few grammatical points will be highlighted on the board. - Pronunciation and stress will be highlighted. - Drilling and backchaining
- Setting the context for the listening Listening for a while and stopping at the first item as a demo -Listening to tick the other items Checking answers in pairs Re-listening to check their answers again. - Checking the answer key
- Practicing the dialogue in pairs
- Discussing who are the characters and eliciting some of the heard expressions - Asking Ss to gather for the demonstration - Moving around the room to enact the conversation between Tom, HIs mother and the stallholder. - Dividing them in groups of three to move around the 3 market stalls and enact the conversation (market background music)