'Making Plans' Vocabulary Lesson Plan
To provide clarification of Vocabulary on organisation in the context of Making plans
To provide gist listening practice using a text about 'Are you a planner or a procrastinator? questionnaire in the context of Are you a planner or a procrastinator?
Procedure (48-66 minutes)
- I will set the context by sticking a list of things I do when I put something off randomly on the board: * Prepare my lesson plan. * Make a sandwich for the lunch break. * Pick up and iron the clothes. * Pack my school bag for the course. * Charge my laptop. - I will Ask SS what they think these things have in common. - I will try to elicit 'procrastinate' as given in the previous part of the lesson plan. - Explain and drill a few times. - Put SS in pairs, PW, to discuss what they do to procrastinate. - Conduct FB. - What do you think all these things have in common? WC - As PB, discuss what you do to procrastinate. - You have one minute. - Report your partner's answer. FB
- First task, then text! - Here, we have a questionnaire on whether you are a planner or a procrastinator person. Please, read only the introduction part individually. - You have one minute. ICQ: * Are you working with a partner? * Are you only reading? - HO the text. (One minute later) - Form PW - With your partner, discuss the answer of the question now. - You have 2 minutes. -ICQ : * Are you working alone? * Are you speaking on the questions? (2 minutes later.) - Now, report what your partner said. FB
- Before inducing the questionnaire, I want to check the new vocabulary : prioritise (verb) /praɪˈɒr.ɪ.taɪz/ : to decide which of a group of things are the most important so that you can deal with them first: "You must learn to prioritize your work." CCQ : * Are all the things I have to do in equal importance? * Do I plan to do my important tasks first? * What do you do when you prioritise? meet a deadline (verb) /miːt ə ˈded.laɪn/ : to finish something at the time it is meant to be finished. * Do I know when to finish sth? * Am I trying to meet someone? * What must you do to meet the deadline when I tell you to finish a project and the last day is this Friday? get started (verb) : begin CCQ: * Do I plan to procrastinate when I say I must get started? * Am I ready to begin when I get started? * What do you do when you get started? get distracted (verb) : to be mad nervous or annoyed by someone or something. CCQ: *Do I feel nice when I get distracted? * Does somebody or something affect my motivation? * What gets you distracted in the lesson? get things done (verb) : when someone does some tasks for you, you get things done. * Do you do everything by yourself when you get things done? * Do you get the help of others? * What tasks do you get done in your life? put off (verb) /pʊt ɒf/ : to decide or arrange to delay an event or activity until a later time or date: "The meeting has been put off for a week." * Do I do things on time when I put off? * Do you think I will never do that thing? * What is generally put off in our lives? wisely (adverb) /ˈwaɪz.li/ : 'Everyone will agree that tax money must be spent wisely.' 'Spend your money wisely.' * Do I make sth good when I spend my time wisely? * Do People hate me if I behave wisely? * What do you do when you spend your money wisely? SS will be working individually to think over the answers of the questionnaire first and then they will work in pairs for FB. - As you see, there are four questions of the questionnaire. Read these questions and think over the answers individually. - You have 2 minutes. ICQ : * Are we working in pairs? * Are we writing sth? (After 2 minutes) - Now, work with your partner to compare the answers. - T monitors.
- As we all know the meanings well, now it is time to practise a bit. - As you all see, there are definitions given in part 1c . Try to find the phrases they describe in the text. Work individually. You have 2 minutes. ICQ : * Are you working with a friend? * Are you reading and taking notes? (After 2 minutes) - Compare your answers with your partner. PW FB
- Form The GW - Now, we will work with our groups. Discuss the answers of the questions in 1D with your group friends. You have 3 minutes. ICQ: * Are we working alone? * Are we writing sth? (After 3 minutes) - One person in each group reports the results. FB
- Now, we will have a listening task. Three people will be discussing the answers of the questionnaire. - There are some headlines given here. While listening , please decide which topics they don't mention. We will only listen once. ICQ : * Are we listening in detail? * Are we paying attention to topics here? (After listening) - PW FB - WC FB
- PW - Try to fill in the gaps with your partner. - PW FB - Now we will listen. While listening, check your answers individually. - AK Check your answers
- Form GW - Read the question and make a discussion as a group. - You have 3 minutes. ICQ: * Are you working with your partner? * Are you reading sth? (After 3 minutes.) - WC FB