Remembering The Past
To provide clarification of Simple Past versus Past Continuous Tense in the context of How well do you remember the past?
To provide accuracy speaking practice in a Conversation in the context of "How well do you remember the past?"
Procedure (38-57 minutes)
- They will read the questions of the text and think about the answer of the quiz questions individually for 3 minutes. - ICQ - Give them the HO. - After 3 minutes ,form PW and make them ask and answer the quiz questions as quickly as possible as FB. - Form new PW, ask them to report what their original partner reported to their new partner. "How well do you remember the past?" quiz
- Listening for gist - Decising on which question each speaker is discussing. - Taking notes while listening. - Having peer check - Listening and checking WGFB *Write numbers from 1 to 5 on your notebooks. * Listen and decide on the question number they are discussing. * Check your partner. *Listen and check
- Give the instruction - ICQ - Wait for one minute to let them remember the missing gaps. - Peer check - Play the recording for specific info listening * Look at the sentences and try to write what you remember for each gap. * Listen to the recording and complete the gaps
- Find all the examples of Simple Past in the sentences. T gives one example. - Ask whether it is regular or irregular. - ICQ - Peer check - WGFB - Same instruction for the Past Continuous. - ICQ - Peercheck - WGFB
- Give the grammar box to SS and PW - Monitor and check whether they are on the track - WGFB - CCQ * "Sam phoned a moment ago." We use the simple past to talk about events, actions or situations which happened in the past. * Did Sam phone us in the past? * Is Sam still phoning us now? * "I was watching TV at 8 o'clock." Past Continuous is used to talk about an action that was in progress at a past point in time. CCQ : * Did I start watching TV at 8 o'clock? * Was I still watching TV at 8 o'clock? * So, was this action in progress at 8 o'clock? "We were having dinner when the phone rang. The phone rang while we were having dinner." Actions which were in progress when something else happened. * Did we start having dinner before the phone rang? * Did we finish having dinner after the phone rang? "He loved me and then he forgot me." We can not use Past Continuous with stative verbs. "People travelled by camels in the past." We can not use Past Cont. with repeated actions of the past. CCQ: * Can we say "I was needing you."? * Which one would be right? : - I sucked my thumb when I was a baby. - I was sucking my thumb when I was a baby.
- Substitution drills for practicing form "I was walking with my parents." (Negative) _______________________________ (Dünya) ________________________________ (?) _________________________________ (The students) _________________________________ (Negative) _________________________________ - Say "I was walking with my parents." , "We were having dinner at that time." " She was helping her mum." - Ask : "Is "was/were" strong in positive sttatements? (weak) - Which words are stressed? (verb-ing) - Make them repeat.
- GW - You will read about some more answers to the quiz. - Read quickly individually and and find out which question is each speaker answering. - HO - ICQ - 3 minutes - Choose the correct verb form. - AK will be given. - GWFB