Copy of Dealing with misunderstandings
To provide clarification of language used for dealing with misunderstandings.
To provide accuracy and fluency speaking practice in a conversation and role playing in the context of dealing with misunderstandings.
Procedure (44-60 minutes)
- make Ss watch a video on misunderstandings. - make them predict what the lesson is about.
- elicit when to use the expressions and what their function is - give Ss the HO - drill the phrases
- group Ss. - give instructions " match the numbers and letters to complete the sentences". - give cut-ups - ask Ss to pair check - elicit Ss' answers - drill the phrases
- play the recording - pause after phrases - ask Ss to focus on repeating the phrases with the same intonation
- give instuctions - give HOs - read the example with the class - make Ss check in pairs - elicit Ss answers - drill the phrases
- give instructions - give HOs - read the example with the class - ask why does the speaker use this phrase (to repeat what they heard in a different way, to check that they understand correctly) - Ss underline the phrases alone - Ss check their answers in pairs - elicit Ss' answers - write the answers on the board
- regroup Ss - give instructions - give HOs -give Ss 2-3 mins to read through the situation and think about what will they say - Ss role play - monitor to find errors - ask Ss to swap roles - give HO6 - Ss roleplay - if you have time, nominate a pair to perform their conversations for the class
- delayed correction
- regroup Ss - give one card to each student - ask them to use the phrases - give 2-3 mins for Ss to read the cards - Ss roleplay