TP5 - Listening - Talk about people who have influenced you
To provide listening for specific and detailed information in the context of people who have influenced you
To provide fluency and accuracy speaking practice in a conversation in the context of people who have influenced you
Procedure (33-46 minutes)
- Introduce myself and greet students. - Write on the board: `important people in your life` - brainstorm with the Ss. -Set the word: influenced Ask Ss - 'do you care for what this person says? do you listen what she/he says? This person has some effect on you? so those are the people who have influenced you > Review some adjectives with the Ss - how can we describe someone's personality? ELICIT from them: funny, serious, courageous, clever, intelligent, talkative, sociable, reliable, clever, creative, charismatic, nice, good, etc. - Project the images on the board with the 3 famous people, and ask Ss to discuss in PAIRS: are they role models? What kind of people are they? Do/Did they influence people? How? FB - Elicit some opinions from the Ss
- T shows the photo of Tara and ask Ss to predict, IN PAIRS, two people who have influenced her and how. Tips for the students on the PPP -> "I'm working now working in space science, and if it wasn't for her, I think my life would be very different now." / "I was quite shy at that age, and she really helped me to be myself" Ss will check the answers in the next stage.
- HO1 - Ss will listen to Tara talking about two people who have influenced her. They will check if their predictions were right. w/c - Elicit the answers from the Ss.
- HO1 (second part): Students will listen again and, this time, they will focus on how these two people influenced Tara, checking if their predictions were right. FB - Students check their answers in pairs. Teacher plays the record again to check answers, pausing on the answers and eliciting from the students.
- Instruct the HO2 to the Ss and clarify the meaning and pronunciation of the vocabulary. (Follow language analysis) - Do the activity in PW Tell them, that if they are not sure, they can find the answers on the script. FB - ask Ss to write the answers on the board. - Ss will clarify the form by themselves - HO2 part 2
- PPP Tell Ss they will think about two or three people who have influenced them - HO3. Tell them they will also think about their personality (kind of people) and how they changed them. Tell Ss to make notes or write sentences based on the target language. *Monitoring - check possible mistakes or good language to be used in error delayed correction. - Tell Ss to stand up and get into pairs: share their stories asking questions and talking about it. After a minute, T signs to change pairs. ( do it a few times) *Monitoring - check possible mistakes or good language to be used in error delayed correction. If there is time - FB - ask Ss to share some interesting ideas they heard about