TP4 - Reading - The truth about air travel
Upper Intermediate level
To provide gist and detailed reading practice using a text about the truth of air travelling
To provide fluency and accuracy speaking practice in asking questions in the context of flying in an airplane
Procedure (38-49 minutes)
- Project a picture of the book cover from 'Air Babylon' and it's co-author. >Ask Ss to predict what is the book about. PW | Duration: max. 1 minute | > Elicit some ideas from the students.
- Give Ss HO1 and ask them to skim the text - SOLO- and see if they guessed it right or not about the topic. | Duration: 1 min. | > Before answering the questions, read them together and make it clear. (USE PPP + CCQs and DRILL for vocabulary if needed) > PW to answer the questions - tell them to make NOTES. |Duration: 2 minutes| > FB - w/c - elicit some ideas from the Ss. DON'T give the answers yet.
- Tell Ss that they will scan the text and check, in pairs, if their predictions were correct. - Give HO2 Duration: (2 minutes) *FB - Elicit the answers from the Ss. *** Before reading for detail - PRE-TEACH some vocabulary that may block their reading understanding. - Instruct the HO3 to the Ss and let them do it in PW. Duration: 2/3 minutes. >Project the answer on the board. Follow L.A. for checking the meaning, mark the stress when needed, and drill. (Duration: ~2/3 minutes)
- Instruct HO4 > Ss will try to answer it SOLO (duration: ~10 minutes) and then check in pairs their answers (2 minutes) * try to change the pairs FB - Ask Ss to raise hands for each alternative, if there is doubt/disagreement elicit where is it in the text. *if there is time, do together the underlining the information part (of all the answers).
- Tell the Ss they will do a speaking activity based on 'find someone who...' being 'Have you ever...? > Read the sentences with them and as CCQs if needed. > Demonstration - ask 2 Ss to ask each other questions. > Monitoring - write down the possible mistakes for Delayed error feedback. CCQs: -When I am delayed... am I early or late? (late) -If I missed a flight... did I get into the airplane? (no) -When we are stopped in Customs... do we have our bags opened? -When there is a turbulance... is the plane shaking? (yes) -Business class...Is it more expensive? (yes) -Emergency... is it a serious situacion? (yes) Can it be dangerous? (probably yes) FB - Elicit some answers from the Ss. *** If there is time: - Delayed error correction: Elicit the correction from the SS