Copy of Grammar - Verbs with verb-ing
To raise awareness in students of verbs or verb phrases followed by verb-ing
To give sts semi-controlled speaking practice to develop spoken accuracy
To give sts practice in reading and listening for specific information
Procedure (33-45 minutes)
* T will show 3 pictures: 1 about shopping, 1 about women shopping, and 1 about men with women shopping. * Sts will have a discussion on the pictures projected on the board in groups.
* Sts will get in two groups: males and females. * They will complete the sentences in the first exercise with one of two words: Men or Women. They will discuss their own ideas on the situations. - ICQ: "How many words are there to use?" * If there are any phrases or verbs related to the structure, T will give different examples and use body language to elicit the meaning from the sts.
* Sts will work in pairs. They will find the answer of one question: "What is in common in all 6 sentences?" They will underline the common structure. - ICQs: "Are you going to discuss the meanings? - No." " Are you going to find the differences? - No." " Are you going to find common things? - Yes." * T will ask for more examples in the same usage. * T will show the bottom of the page to show more examples.
* Sts will work with different partners in this activity. * They will scan the text to find 12 mistakes to correct where verb or verb phrase and verb-ing form. They will correct them together with their partners for 5 mins. - ICQ: "Are we going to read everything? - No." "Are we going to look for mistakes? - Yes." "How many mistakes are there? - 12." * After the given time is over, they will check their answers by listening. * In case they may miss while listening, they will be given the transcript of the listening part with the correct answers underlined. If there are any questions by sts, T will answer them.
* Sts will work in pairs for 5 mins. * They will ask the same questions in exercise 3 to each other and learn their shopping attitudes. - ICQ: "Will you write new questions? - No." "Will you going to answer the questions in the text? - Yes."