Lesson plan for TP 8
Upper Intermediate level
To provide students with practice of listening for gist and for detail in the context of the topic of 'Generations and Sociyety.'
To provide students with practice of fluency speaking in the context of the topic about generations and their feaures; to enable students to better understand and use the lexis related to the topic of the lesson
Procedure (45-65 minutes)
- T puts up the words from the first line of the listening text, jumbled, on the WB and gets Ss to reorder: every child, every generation is a product of their times. - Ss (volunteers) reorder the sentence on the WB. - T gets Ss to discuss in pairs whether they agree with the statement or not. - Ss discuss the statement - T monitors - T gets the feedback as a whole class discussion - T puts up the cards with the names of the generations, which Ss represent, on the WB with the birth years. - T gets Ss to come up to the WB and write their names under the corresponding category. T says Ss may check the features of the generation category they belong to later, at home, if they are interested in that.
- T sets the matching activity as pre-listening 1. - T explains the activity to Ss. Ss need to match the words selected from the listening text with their meanings. - T gets Ss to work in pairs and do the matching activity. - Ss match the words with their meanings in pairs. - T monitors and helps if needed - T gets Ss to check their answers with other pairs. - T passes an answer key and gets Ss to check their answers with the answer key. - Ss check their answers with their peers. - T sets ex. 2 as pre-listening activity 2. - T explains the activity to Ss. Ss need to think first on their own and then to discuss in a pairwork which of the things on the list, in their opinion, give a generation their identity. Ss need to rank the list in order of importance. - Ss work on their own first to think of the ideas. - Ss work in pairs, discuss their ideas and think of some examples with regards to the list. - T monitors and helps with ideas or vocabulary if needed - T takes the feedback in an open-class discussion
- T sets ex. 3 as the task for gist listening. - T explains the activity. Ss need to listen to the text and answer the questions from the activity. - T gets Ss to check their answers in the pairs - Ss check their answers in pairs - T gets the feedback in an open-class discussion
- T sets ex. 4 as a task for listening for details. - T explains the activity. Ss need to listen to the text a second time to answer the true/false questions. - Before playing the recording T gets Ss to work in pairs and guess which of the statements are false and which ones are true. Thus less confident Ss will be encouraged and feel more prepared for the detailed listening task. - Ss work in pairs to make their guesses as to the statements. - T monitors - T plays the recording. - Ss listen and do the true/false task. - If needed T plays the recording (or some parts of it) again - Ss complete the task - T monitors - T gets Ss to check their answers in pairs - T passes out the answer key.
- T asks Ss to get into groups according to their generation category. - T explains the activity. Ss need to discuss what characterizes their generations. Ss refer to the characteristics in the handout passed out by T. If they wish they can add other characteristics to the list. - Ss discuss the topic in groups. - T monitor and helps if needed. - T takes the feedback in a whole-class discussion
- T gets Ss into groups of three and explains the activity. - Ss need to discuss and write a profile of the generation born between 2000 and 2020. How different are they from Ss' generations? - Ss work in groups to do the activity. - T monitors and helps if needed - T posts Ss' writing pieces and gets Ss to walk around and read them - Ss choose the best profile of the 2000-2020 generation