To provide a review and practice of simple past irregular verbs in summer vacation context
To provide fluency and accuracy of simple past irregular verbs in the context of summer vacation.
Procedure (31-45 minutes)
- Visuals of vacation activities on the board. - Sts in pairs talk about activities people normally do on vacations. - whole class. -Drill and stress if necessary.
- Visuals of some activities on the board. - Elicit: "What did/ didn't she/he do yesterday?" in different situations. - Sts in pairs talk. - Sts complete the chart in pairs and then chorally. - Sts go around the class ask each other five things they did/didn't last weekend.
- Visuals on the board. -Set the task. (Laura is asking Erika about her vacation last summer.) - Focus on the title and the picture. - Ask Sts to make questions." What did Erica do last summer?","Did she like it?" - Sts talk in pairs. - Pre-teach any lexis they might need: Grand Canyon, hiking, rafting.... - Write these questions on the board. Did Erica go to the Grand Canyon last summer? Did she go with her brother? Did they go hiking there? Did they ride horses? Did her sister like rafting? - Sts cover and listen. -Sts check in pairs. - Sts uncover and practice in pairs. - Sts underline questions and answers with simple past forms. - CCQ: Did Erica go to Grand Canyon last summer? Is she still in Grand Canyon? Is she hiking and rafting in the past or now? meaning An action was completed in the past. form Sub+simple past irregulars Sub+didn't+base form of the verb Did+Sub+simple present verb Yes,+Sub+did No,+ Sub+didn't Pronunciation □ □ I went to the Arizona. □ □ □ □ □ My sister didn't like rafting very much. □ □ Did you like it? /diʤ jə/ □ □ Yes , I did. □ □ No, She didn't.
- Practice the conversation again on the board with Sts triumph and cooperation. Pronunciation □ □ I went to the Arizona. □ □ □ □ □ My sister didn't like rafting very much. □ □ Did you like it?( mention rising intonation) /diʤ jə/ □ □ Yes , I did. □ □ No, She didn't. -Sts do the activity individually. - Sts check in pairs.
- Sts stand up, in pairs ask and answer the questions in previous activity about their last summer vacation. (forbidden game: no Yes or No. complete answer)