Lesson Plan for TP 6
To provide Ss with an opportunity to read for specific information and for detail in the context of the text about amazing ocean facts
To provide Ss with the opportunity for fluency speaking in the context of the topic about oceans and seas
Procedure (13-61 minutes)
- T conducts a quiz on the general knowledge of the information about the world's oceans. - T divides Ss into two groups and gives each of the group quiz questions and answers for Ss to match. T sets the time of 3 minutes. - Ss do the activity. - T monitors. - T passes the answer key. Ss check their answers. The group which made less mistakes wins.
- T introduces the lexis that might block Ss' understanding of the text. - T asks Ss to work in pairs and match the words with their meanings. - Ss work in pairs to complete the activity. - T passes an answer key for Ss to check against their answers
- T sets an alternative procedure to ex. 1 offered by TB as a task for reading for gist. - T explains the activity. Ss need to read the text, Amazing Ocean Facts, and decide which fact or facts are about: waves; sharks; communication; water pressure; life under the ocean; sea levels rising. - Ss do the task solo. - T gets Ss to check their answers in pairs. - T passes the answer key.
- T sets ex. 2 as the task for reading for specific information. - T explains the activity. T tells Ss that they are going to find language the author used to make the facts seem more interesting and amazing. T does the first one as a group. - Ss do the activity solo. - T monitors and helps if needed. - T gets Ss to check their answers - T passes a handout - T checks Ss' understanding of the language
- T sets a True/false task as the one for reading for detail - T explains the activity. Ss need to answer whether the statements about the reading text are true or false. - Ss do the activity. - T monitors. - T gets Ss to check the answers in pairs. - T passes the answer key.
- T asks Ss to choose the most interesting, in their opinion, fact about the ocean and discuss it with their partner. - Ss chooses the most interesting fact from the text and discuss it with their partner. - T monitors - T takes feedback
- T sets ex. 3 as a post-reading activity. - T explains the activity. Ss need to choose randomly a question offered by T in a hat or a bag. The questions will have their numbers. Ss whose numbers match discuss the question. When Ss finish their discussion of one question, they swap it with other students. - Ss do the activity. - T monitors.