TP 8 LESSON PLAN
To help students develop their speaking skill with a semi-controlled practice and debate activity for fluency and accuracy in the context of 'agree/disagree with the punishment a boy (16) got for a robbery'.
To provide listening for detail and some phrases to be used in production stages in the context of 'agree/disagree with the punishment a boy (16) got for a robbery '
Procedure (45-59 minutes)
- After eliciting from Ss, write 'Punishments' in the middle of the board and draw a circle around it. - Elicit types of punishments from the class and build a mind map on the board. - Ask Ss 'Which punishment do you think must have been given to a guy, 16 years old, who robbed a newsagent?' - After having the Ss' guesses, tell them they will find out the answer from the video they will watch in one sec.
- Pointing at the handout, tell Ss to read the questions (including the question in the lead-in stage, too) at first - Then they will watch a video of two conversations and answer the questions according to that video. - Peer check and WGFB.
- Point at the handout and tell Ss there are some phrases from the conversations. - Tell them to watch the video again and number the phrases in order they hear them. - Pair work/check and nominate 2 different Ss to play the teacher and give the feedback of each conversation to the class.
- Try to elicit by using some phrases: 'Expressing an opinion' and 'Responding to an opinion' - Tell Ss they will put the phrases in the correct category - Pair work and project the answers on the board. - Drill some of them (focusing on intonation to remain polite, even when disagreeing). - Don't forget to tell the Ss that they will use these phrases in next activities.
- Pair the Ss - Have one S in each pair to express an opinion about the statements in the exercise by using the correct phrases from the previous activity. (S-A) - Have the other S in each pair to respond that opinion with the correct phrases from the previous activity (S-B) - Tell them to give a reason for the opinion they express. - Demo the activity with a stronger S - After a while, 'Students A will be B; Students B will be A' (ICQ if needed) - Have each pair's opinions tell to the class
- Ask Ss to remember and tell the people's opinions about the robbery and sentence in the video. - Ask: 'Who agrees with the punishment of community service for 25 hours?' Then: 'Who disagrees with the punishment of community service for 25 hours?' - Have 'agree' Ss one side and 'disagree' Ss on the other side. - Tell Ss they will debate and defend their opinions why they agree and disagree with the punishment. - Let them know two teachers (Pınar & Nox) will be jury to decide the stronger group by taking the opinions and reasons into consideration. - Tell them to discuss why they agree/disagree with the punishment in their groups by listing their reasons in 4 min and remind them they need to use the phrases in the previous stage and will win a point each time they use them correctly. - Ask both groups to state their opinions. Start with the group 'agree'. After getting their first opinion, ask the group 'disagree' to respond their opinion. - Direct the debate in this flow.
- Ask each group to list the strongest opinions and reasons of the opposite party in the debate. - Have the opinions from each group. - Have the jury's list, post it on the board and ask the groups compare it with theirs. - Ask if they agree or disagree with the results. - Allocate minimum last three minutes to make error correction.