Lesson Plan for T 5
To provide students with freer practice of writing in the context of news stories.
• To give students the opportunity to practice speaking for fluency in the context of news stories; to introduce the lexis to be used in the freer writing activity in the context of an airplane incident
To provide students with practice in speaking for fluency in the context of news stories
Procedure (44 minutes)
- Tsets a warmer by preparing five to eight headlines of the current news from a local newspaper or news website and makes a note of them in English. - T writes each one on an index card and puts these around the room. - T says to Ss that the room is a news gallery and explains the activity to Ss. Ss need to move around and look at different items. For each headline they must say at least two things they know about the story. - Ss move around and discuss the different items. - T monitors and interferes if needed.
- T sets ex.1 as an exposure stage. - T explains to Ss the further activity. Ss need to read the questions in the questionnaire first and think of your answers. Then they should add two more questions they could ask a partner about the news. - T passes Handout 1 - Ss read the questions, think of their answers and prepare their questions. - T monitors to see if Ss are on track and helps if needed.
- T sets ex. 2 as a speaking activity. - T explains the task. T asks Ss to choose four questions from the questionnaire, including their own question as well, they want to ask their partner and ask and answer in pairs. - Ss ask and answer in pairs, which would give them more of their speaking time. - T monitors and helps if needed. - T takes feedback by nominating Ss to answer some of the questions from the list.
- T uses the words from the lexis box. - T shows the words for the coming writing task on the board and makes sure if Ss know what they all mean. - T checks what 'flock of birds' means, assuming that Ss might not be familiar with the collective noun. - T checks what 'land' as a verb means. - T checks if Ss know the noun derived from the verb 'land' and elicits landing. This will be done as a demonstration of changing of the form of the words, which Ss may do in their writing.
- T sets ex.3 as a freer writing activity. - T explains to Ss that they are going to write a short news story and goes over the instructions for writing a story. T asks Ss to write their ideas in pairs. - T passes Handout 2 (box lexis) and Handout 3 (rules for writing a short story) - Ss write a news story in pairs. - T monitors and helps if needed.
- T sets ex. 4 as a follow up speaking activity. - T posts Ss' stories on the classroom walls, arranges Ss into groups of 4 or 5 and gets them to circulate as a group, read the stories and choose the one they like best. - Ss circulate in groups, read each other's stories and discuss to decide on the best one. - T monitors - T asks the groups to read out the news story they chose.