Intermediate B1 level
By the end of this lesson the students will be able to write an opinion essay according to a specific structure.
To introduce connecting phrases and words the students will use in the writing activity
Procedure (32-45 minutes)
- show video about prison system in Norway. - give discussion questions related to the topic. "Did you like this kind of punishment? Why/why not?" What is the goal of prison punishments in Norway?.. - discuss in pairs? FB? -( Use statements from Ex 1a?)
- "Quickly read the text again". - T elicits the first answer as an example, the ss do the rest of Ex3a in pairs. - Project questions (Ex 3a) on the board. Work with your partner. - quick FB, one person from each pair gives their answer.
- "Underline the phrases that the writer uses to introduce his/her ideas". - T gives one example. - Work alone - Peer check -> then (five) students underline the phrases on the WB (text is projected)
- T elicits and checks a few linking words first - "Now, you will quickly read the text again and this time circle all the linking words" - Peer check -> give the ss the answer key on HO
- "You are going to write an essay and express your own opinions about imprisonment, prison sentences etc. First, you will read this statements, they are for or against the sentences in the headline. Mark those that are for with a + and those that are against with a - . Try also to come up with more arguments. Work with your partner. " - Give HO - FB: Project sentences on the WB, have four ss come and mark their answers each.
- " You will now write your essay. It doesn't have to be long. You can use one of the statements in the previous exercise, or your own opinion and write about. Remember to use the paragraph structure we talked about in the beginning." - Give everyone a blank piece of paper./Ss write on the backside of the HO from previous stage. - Play nice background - music. - (Project paragraph structure on the WB.)
- "You will now give you draft to your partner, read it and suggest how to improve the essay. Give feedback according to this check-list". - Project check-list on the WB.