Intermediate B1 level
By the end of this lesson the students will be able to understand and use a set of lexical items related to history and inventions.
To develop the student`s speaking skills (fluency and accuracy)
Procedure (31-46 minutes)
- "What are the most important historical events in Turkey?" Discuss with your partner. - Show pictures projected on the WB. - Quick WGFB
- T shows the pictures (course book page 104-105) projected on the WB. Ask the ss "Which important developments are shown in the photos?" "Discuss with your partner." - FB: T writes the answers on the WB, asks the ss to match picture and answer on the WB. One person from each pair comes to the WB.
- "Now you will match these words with their definitions. You can work together." (Cut ups?) - Give HO. - Feedback; Answer key on the walls? - quick CCQs: "When something gets better, - do we call it advance or revolution?" (advance) "When someone makes something new, - do we call it foundation or invention?" "When a group of people work together to achieve an aim, - is it a movement or a progress?"
- "Now, we wil listen to the answers from the previous exercise. Listen carefully to the stress in each word. Circle the stressed syllable". ICQ: Will you write or just circle the stressed syllable? - T models each word from the exercise. - FB: Write the words on the WB, and have each student come to the board and mark the stressed syllable.
- "you will but complete the words in these sentences". - Give HO - Pair check, then quick WGFB
- "I will now give you these sentences, in each sentence you will find the words we have been practicing. There are two alternatives, only one of them is correct. Underline the correct one. Work with your partner." - Give HO - FB; nominate one student to be the teacher and to read the answers. Give him/her the answer key.
- "There are some statements on these papers. You will talk with your partner, and decide if you agree or disagree with the statement. Try to give a reason/explanation for your opinion.". - Swap partners! ( Fun way of grouping?) - Error correction the last 3-4 min?