Intermediate B1 level
To provide clarification of past perfect and past simple in the context of travel
To provide the ss with an opportunity to practice reading for gist and speaking for fluency
Procedure (31-45 minutes)
- Put visuals on the WB (projected ppt?) that has to do with traveling.. - Ask questions for discussion, address one of the ss, then PW (OR activity where they draw three unusual things they have done. Present it to their partner).
- "You will read this text quickly and answer this question" - Gist-question(s) on the WB - Give HO (text) - Take the time, ss read for 1 min. - Peer check, then WGFB
- T elicits and checks present perfect and present simple by writing 2-3 marker sentences on the WB. Positive, negative and question-form. - Elicit the form. (use timeline). - CCQs: - Pronunciation: T models marker sentences, and drills chorally and in small groups.
- "Read this short text. In the text, there are two options for the verb forms. You have to choose the correct one. Underline the one you think is right. (again, we choose between present perfect and past simple.) - give HO - Peer check , then WGFB
- "you will fill in the gaps in these questions. You will need to use both present perfect and past simple". - give HO - put answer key on the walls. Ss check their answers individually when they are done.
- "Have a look at the questions you just completed. Ask and answer the questions with your partner" - quick WGFB: ask one or two of the ss to tell about their partner. - T monitors and listens well, - delayed error correction at the end of lesson.
activity "instant conversations" (re-group ss) - "you will talk with your partner , I will announce a number of topics, one after the other. When I say a new topic, you will talk about it until I say the next one. Remember how we use present perfect and present simple." - ss talk! - delayed error correction on WB for the last 2 min.