TP2 - Listening - Work and Studies - Elaine Yalcin
To provide Ss with practice in listening for gist, specific information and detail in the context of lifelong learning
To provide Ss with practice speaking for fluency in the context of work and studies
To provide Ss with review and practice of vocabulary related to work and studies
Procedure (38-51 minutes)
- Re-introduce self and greet Ss. - Project the images of the ex1 on the board. Ask Ss about the pictures. Elicit from the Ss some answers. - Project the chart image on the board (HO1) Instruct Ss. Ask two Ss to demonstrate the exercise. PW - T gives Ss HO1 and they answer the chart. General w/c FB
- Brainstorm the word: studies. Elicit some ideas from the students. Write them on the board. - PW - T projects exercise 7a on the board - (elicit the meaning before giving the HO) and gives the HO2. Duration: around 3 minutes. *Monitoring: Don't interfere but write down the mistakes from the Ss for Error Correction at the end of the lesson. w/c FB - elicit the answer from the students, DRILL each vocabulary and MARK the STRESS on the board. T gives Ss a written record of the vocabulary (with marked stress and examples) to take home - HO3
- Set the context of the listening T writes on the board 'Lifelong Learning' Elicit ideas of meaning from the Ss. - Based on ex2 - T draws a timeline on the board and tells that in the past people usually, after finishing studies, just started working and that was it. Now things are changing. T tells a personal anecdote about her father, that after working for 15 years went back to the University for a degree in P.E. - T asks Ss: why do you think he did it? Why do people want to continue learning? w/c FB - Elicit some answers from Ss.
- T introduces the characters: Luis, Pierre, and Margaret. T instructs and gives the HO3. - listening ex. 3 - SOLO - PW - Ss check their answers w/c FB - elicit answers from the Ss.
- Ex 4a - Instruct and ask Ss to try to answer in PW (duration: 3 minutes) Play again the listening and check the answers together with the Ss.
- T remembers the anecdote of her father to the Ss: he worked and was a university student at the same time. - T projects the HO5 on the board: Find someone who studies English at ITI and... Ss go around the classroom trying to find Ss who fulfill the statements. Duration: 2/3 minutes. Monitoring: don't interrupt Ss. Write down their possible mistakes to error correction. w/c FB
-T writes down some good language and some errors that were heard while monitoring. Elicit the correct version from the Ss.