TP 5 LESSON PLAN
To provide clarification of present simple & present continuous in the context of former politician experiencing a different life on a TV programme for one week.
To practice the target language by a freer speaking activity 'question-answer' with some time expressions of the language.
Procedure (36-50 minutes)
- Give a piece of paper to each S and ask them to write down three things about themselves such as their favorite color, singer, actor, hobby, interest, etc. - Have them fold the pieces of paper up and put them all in the pocket you have. - After mixing them up in the pocket, have each S pull out a piece of paper belonging to the others - Ask the Ss to find their own piece of paper by talking each other.
- Ask Ss a few questions about TV review and Michael Portillo: 1- What does he do? What is his job? (A former politician) 2- What is he doing on the programme? (He is replacing a single mom to look after her kids.) 3- Is it permanent or temporary? (Temporary, only for 1 week)
On board – try to elicit: He doesn’t have any children. She’s going through a very rebellious phase. - Ask: Which sentence is present continuous? Which one is present simple? - Ask the Ss to choose the correct tense for each rule on the handout. - Pair them, monitor and WGFB. - Pointing at audio script and highlighted sentences, ask them to write an example sentence from there under each rule. - Give only 1 photocopy of the script to each pair - Monitor and WGFB
- Refer Ss back to the 2 sentences on the board. - Elicit highlighting the sentence from the Ss, then its positive form of present simple and the question form for third person. - Ask them about other subject pronouns i.e. I, we, they, you. - Do the same for the sentence in present continuous tense.
- Say the sentence in present simple and ask Ss to repeat the sentence; do the same for positive, negative and questions. (Point at stress and intonation) - Say the sentence in present continuous and ask the Ss to repeat; do the same for positive, negative and questions. (Point at stress and intonation)
- Tell Ss to choose the correct form- present simple or present continuous - To clarify what do: - For example, the first sentence '.........a volunteer has or is having four weeks.....' Which one? - Pair them with different partners and monitor. - Peer check and WGFB.
- Point at the time expressions. - Tell Ss to prepare questions to ask their partner about their daily life using these time expressions. - Do a quick demo with a stronger S and ask: What do you never do at nights? - What are you working on at the time? - Do a quick whole group feedback to report back on their partner - Delayed error correction if any