Intermediate B1 level
To provide listening for gist, for specific information and detailed listening.
To practice reading for gist, to practice fluency by a few speaking activities and to learn new vocabulary related to the lesson`s context
Procedure (28-45 minutes)
- Greet the ss, introduce myself. Do the ball-game as GTKY-activity. Get the ss to stand in a circle. A) Everyone says their name. B) I say a random name and through the ball to that person. C) continues. . Instructions?
- Project visuals on the WB (ppt). Select one or two Ss and ask what they do for a job. Ask them about their typical working day i.e. What time to you wake up? Do you have breakfast with your family? What time do you start work? - Get Ss into pairs and focus them on the discussion questions in Ex 1. Give Ss a few minutes to discuss questions. Monitor and ensure everyone is on topic. - WGFB; nominate one or two Ss to report on their partner to the group.
- "You will read and answer these questions. (Write on the WB or on HO) - Give HO - "What kind of article is this?" (TV review). - Read quickly (1 minute. Take the time), then discuss in pairs. Who is Michael Portillo and who is Jenny Miner? What do you think the main differences between Michael`s and Jenny`s lifestyles will be?-- - Monitor and ensure everyone is on topic. Whole group feedback; nominate one or two (different) Ss to share ideas with group.
- "You will hear a TV programme review. Check the ideas you talked about after you read the text. (show HO). - Play the recording 1.1 - Compare their ideas in pairs. - WGFB; were your ideas similar or different?
- "You will now hear the second part of the TV review. After you have heard the recording you will answer these questions." - Give ss HO - Play the recording 1.2 and ask Ss to answer the questions. - Peer check , then nominate Ss to give answers to the questions in whole group feedback.
- "You will listen to the whole recording again. Don`t worry if you don`t understand every single word. You will listen and fill in the gaps in these sentences (show HO). - Give HO, and give the SS a minute to look over the sentences. - Play the recording 1.1 & 1.2. Ss complete the sentences as they listen. - FB: Ss check their answers with their partner, monitor and check which Ss have heard the answers. Nominate (strong) Ss to read the sentences and give the answers.
- "Look at the words in bold ("dark black"). Talk with your partner and explain the meaning of these phrases to each other". - T monitors and listens. Change the pairs so that everyone is working with a new partner. Repeat the activity. - Prepare a handout to match the new phrases with their meanings? OR alternatively you can ask the whole group some questions i.e. which phrase means ….? to ensure Ss have understood.
- Talk with your partner about this question. (if extra time, they can change partners). - T listens for errors?.. - Delayed error correction on WB