TP 3 LESSON PLAN
To provide gist and specific information listening practice from a text in the context of life on a Scottish Island.
To provide practice of speaking skill through talking about the place and life on an island.
Procedure (38-50 minutes)
- Project a picture of the place and ask Ss what they see in the picture - Ask: 'Do you think it is a city or a town? Why?' - Project a map of the country (without its name on it) - Write the name of the town, Stornoway, on the map and ask 'Where / in which country is it?' - If they can't guess (most probably not), play the Scottish music (if they can't still guess it, project a picture of Scottish men wearing kilt) - After they give the answer, write the name of the country on the map and ask what they know about Scotland
- Pair Ss and tell them you have some pictures and some words - Ask them to match the pictures with the words - Pair check and ask Ss to come to the board one by one and match the words with the pictures separately. * The words: island / isle, mainland, ferry, journey, sunset ( x sunrise) . T will write the words on the board and check their understanding as below and drill focusing on the problematic ones (i.e. island/isle) : - island / isle: Tell that they are similar but 'isle' is a bit more old-fashioned (archaic) and smaller, then ask 'Is it completely surrounded (gesturing and pointing at the map) by water? Tell me the names of some islands in Turkey (the Princes' islands i.e. Büyükada, Heybeliada, etc.)' - mainland: (Pointing at it on the map) Is it the main part/bigger part of this country? Where is Edinburgh ? Is it on the island or mainland? - ferry: Do we travel by ferry on the water or land? Is it only for people? - journey: Do you like journeys? When you are on a journey, what do you do? - sunset: (Pointing at the picture) Is it morning or evening? Is the sky going to be dark or light? - (extra) sunrise: (Pointing at the picture) Is it morning or evening? Is the sky going to be dark or light? **Ask ss if they have any ideas about the topic of audio they will listen.
- Tell ss that they are going to listen to a recording and then show the handout to the ss - Tell them to tick (gesturing) the things that the speaker, Sheena, talks about - Let them have a moment to read the sentences before playing the recording - Let them listen only once - Peer check and WGFB
- Pair the ss and show the handout - Tell ss to listen to the recording again and choose the correct answer - Monitor the ss if they need to listen to the recording for a third time - Peer check and have Ss pull feedback out of pockets to check the answers
- Tell Ss that there are two sentences and they will complete these sentences (give 2 min.) - Then ask them to stand up and put their sentences around the room - Tell them to walk around, read and talk about each other's sentences - WGFB - ask them would you like to visit or live there? Why / Why not? Where would you like to visit or live? Why?
- Some of Ss will be a reporter (write it on the board and tell them he/she works for a TV programme) and some will be Sheena (the speaker who lives on the island) - Change the seats of Ss, pair them and give their roles - Demo the activity with a stronger S - Two-three minutes later, have them swap their roles