Elementary, A1 level
By the end of this lesson, the ss will have practiced reading for gist, scan-reading and reading for detailed information.
To provide fluency by participating in dialogues in the context of living abroad.
Procedure (32-46 minutes)
- greet the ss, ask if they remember my name and see if I still remember theirs. - "Lisa in Turkey" ; "where do I come from? Is that west or east of Europe? South or..north?! What do you think most people say when they hear about Norway? "Isn`t it cold?!" (winter-picture) I moved from Norway to Turkey (show on map.) What do you think we eat in Norway?In Norway, we love to eat (fish) and pork. In Turkey, people eat cig-køfte and kebab (picture). The first time I had cig-køfte, I thought I was going to get sick, but today, it is my favorite food. What is a free-time activity many Turkish people love?(or: what do Turkish people do in weddings?) Yeah, you do folk-dance! The first time I danced Turkish folk-dance (Halay), the people who saw me laughed. I had never done it before! It was fun, but difficult for me. In Norway, we love nature. What do you think we do in the nature? Think of an activity. What do we do when don`t run, but we move slowly? (walk). this is what we do in our free-time (picture.) (Be aware of TTT)
- Pre-teach vocab: Brits, abroad, city, town, village "What`s another word for England?" - Great Britain "What`s another word for English?"- British In which country are we now? (Turkey- show on map) If we go out of Turkey, - where are we? (abroad) For city/town/village; write "time-line" on WB + show pictures - Which three countries do you think the pictures show? do they show a village, town or city? (Ex2a) - Give SS the pictures (without names) - PW (write down your ideas).
- Ss read quickly and check their ideas from previous activity. - Give them them the text - Take time? Stop them after 2 min? -WGFB: Which three countries do the pictures show? (project pictures on the board)
- Ss read the text again, but will match sentences (Ex3) with the places in the article. - ICQs? - Give HO - FB: put answer-key on the board and on the wall. Ask Ss to stand up and walk up to the answer-key to check their own answers.
- Ss read the article again, and look for same/different things from Istanbul in the text. Can you imagine how it is like to be in Dubai? High buildings everywhere! What is different there from Istanbul? Read the paragraph and underline the things that are the same, and circle those that are different. - ICQ! - FB
- Ss compare their ideas and discuss the differences (Istanbul-Dubai; Istanbul- South of France, Istanbul- England.) - Re-pair ss so they can compare their ideas with a different partner. - Get ss to change partner and repeat activity.
- Where would you like to live? Imagine! Maybe Australia? Or in New York? Or in a village in Africa? Or in a city in China? Write down a few words and share your ideas with your partner.