CELTA TP2 April 24
Elementary, A1 level
By the end of this lesson the ss will understand and be able to use vocabulary in the context of visiting a hotel
To improve the ss`s skills of listening for information, and to practice ss writing skills (in the context of booking a hotel-room)
Procedure (32-46 minutes)
- greet the ss - ask questions about "Fawlty Towers"; who did we see? what did they do? did you like it? what did the first man do? (receptionist cleaning, wearing white jacket) - elicit: "Receptionist", "guest", use visuals. Elicit "reservation", ask questions. (leave visuals on the board. refer back to them later) -Key phrases: Give ss HO with key phrases, ask ss to write "R" or "G" next to the phrase. Peer check. (instructions before giving out HO) -Listen to R1.14 and check answers (give instructions before starting the R1.14) -T models and drills each phrase chorally as a WG a few times. Individually on a few of the phrases.
-SS listen to R1.14 (for second time), listen for the guest`s name and telephone number. - Give HO (instructions before HO) -Play the recording. - Peer check. - Listen again, WGFB- elicit answers.
- T divide SS into pairs and allocate their roles; receptionist and guest. - "read the dialogue with your partner, then swap roles." - (ICQs: will you work alone or with your partner? Will you speak or write?) - Give ss a copy of the dialogue - T monitors and helps with correct pronunciation
- Same dialogue as in stage 3, but now ss will use their own personal information. - Regroup ss so they have a new partner and allocate their roles. - Refer ss back to the phrases - T monitors and helps with correct pronunciation - Ss do dialogue once then swap roles.
- SS have to number the phrases in the correct order. SS work solo. - T give the phrases as cut-ups. (instructions before HO). -WGFB; Project on the board. - Elicit some writing conventions: How do you start the email? How do you finish the email?
- Ss write an email to book/reserve a room. Ss choose one of the options (Ex6B) and decide how many nights. Provide ss with a piece of paper. Ss work solo. (ICQs; will you write or talk? will you work alone or with your partner?) - To monitors and helps with formulation by referring ss back to the previous activity. (Keep the email projected on the board?) - Peer check. Read each other`s emails and make suggestions to improve. - WGFB ?