READING AND SPEAKING LESSON
To provide gist, scan and detailed reading practice using a text on White House
To provide fluency and accuracy in the context of a text about the White House.
Procedure (57-70 minutes)
- Project the picture of the president of the USA. - Ask ss who he is and where he works. - Drilling. "Does he work in a farm?" "Does he work at his house? Does he work at a company? Does he work at his office? - Project and hand out the picture of the Oval Office ask if they know this place. Is this my father's office? Is this the office of Turkish President? Is this Barack Obama's office? - Ask SS where Mr Obama lives. Does he live in New York City? Does he live in Dublin? Does he live in London? Does he live in Sydney? Does he live in Washington, DC. - Project the picture of the White House from the sky. -Ask the SS how big is it? and What they think inside that area? Are there sport fields? Is there a cinema? Are there any bedrooms? Are there old pictures? Are there a lot of offices? - Hand out the pictures of the Oval Office and The White House.
- Divide the class into several groups. - Hand out the questions in task 2. - Tell the students to decide whether the questions are true or false. - Have SS discuss with each other (be sure to match the stronger ones with weaker ones) - In order to determine whether SS can understand the questions correctly, monitor and take notes. - Elicit what SS think and tell them to say to the class why they think so. - Tell them in a few minutes they will find the answers from the text. (if necessary tell them to determine the numbers places people and activities.
- Tell ss they will try to find if their guesses to the recently given statements are right or wrong. - SS form three different groups. - Each group will try to deal with two different statements. -Give some time to look at the questions again. - Hand out the whole text to the students. - SS will skim for information. - Instruct them to check the statements' accuracy. - Tell them that the other information is not important and we will not deal with that. - Mention that they have 3 minutes to search for the correctness of the statements. - Have the SS help each others in groups. - Encourage the less enthusiastic SS to join the group work. - Monitor and take notes. -Tell the students write down the statements and the sentences that helped them to find the correctness of the statements on a piece of paper (SS have 2 minutes) -When completed have SS stick the papers on the wall or the board. -Have the other SS from each group come and look at the board. -Monitor.
- When all SS looked at the stick ups, ask them some of the more problematic statements. - After some discussions, hand out and project the answers of the statements and the sentences that prove it to all SS.
- SS form groups of four or five. - hand out the task 4. -State that each group will deal with three questions - remind and elicit they will only look for the answers of these questions. - Set a time limit (5-6 minutes) - Monitor and take notes. - When the groups answered their questions have some SS change places with SS from the other SS. (cross-grouping) - SS will ask and answer the questions by showing reference from the text. - Set a time limit (3 minutes) - Monitor.
- When all the SS completed their group discussions, pick some of the tricky questions and elicit. - Have the SS ask and answer questions and discuss. - Give the answers and the references as a hand out and project. - Give some time to chech their answers and ask questions further.
- SS forms groups of three. T hands out some numbers for each group. - Model and drill. - Make sure that SS understand that they will find where that number is on the text. - turn on a fast american music - Ask them to stick on the board the numbers and show other SS the place. - When all the numbers are completed ask the SS to find what they refer to. (3 minutes time limit) - SS work in groups and help each other. - T monitors and take notes.
- When SS complete the exercise elicit some problematic answers and project the whole answers on the board. - Give SS some time to ask and check their answers.