CELTA TP1 April 17
Elementary, A1 level
By the end of this lesson the Ss will be able to use present simple of to be in the context of greetings.
To practise the skills of listening for gist, to develop vocabulary related to the topic and to practise oral fluency.
Procedure (27-48 minutes)
- greet the Ss and ask if they remember my name (if not, write on the board), and see if I can remember theirs by asking each one. - project the pictures (from course book) on the board. Activate the ss background knowledge by asking "what do you see in this picture?" "Is it a man or a woman?" "What color is her dress?".. - Put ss in pairs and ask them to work together to match the places to the photos. ( I have already written the places on the board). - Monitor to ensure ss have understood. (walk around and listen) - WGFB. T: "where is picture A?"..Ss: "A TV-Studio"..etc
- Tell the ss they will hear some dialogues and that they will match the dialogues with the pictures. - Hand out the dialoges (Course book page 8). - Play the recording once. - Ss check with their partner - WGFB; quickly check ss have matched correctly with WG. - Tell ss they will listen again, this time they will write the missing words in the dialogue. - Peer check, then WGFB. (project the answers on the board)
- Tell the ss they will fill in the gaps in Ex 2 (Coursebook page 8). PW. - Monitor and encourage to find answers in the dialogue (Ex 1B) - When most are finished, ask ss questions (CCQs) like "I`m- is the long form or the short form?" (short) "What is the long form?" (I am). "Is there a short form of the negative of I`m? (no) "What`s the negative of "is"? (Isn`t). What`s the negative of "are"? (aren`t). etc..
- Make the ss stand in a circle. - T demonstrates; T throws the ball and says the positive, ss catch the ball and say the negative. (T: "I am", S; I`m not"). S throws to a different person and says i.e "He is" another ss catches the ball and says "he isn`t". Continue. T correct ss`s pronunciation if necessary. (Obs!! SHOW not tell!)
- Ss complete the conversation (Ex 3A). (Point on the page) - SS practice in groups of three, changing speaking rolls. -T monitors and checks.
- Ask two (strong) ss to help demonstrate the activity. - tell ss they`re going to introduce their partner (Ex 3B). Using sentences from Ex1B and Ex2. - divide the class in two groups (6 ss in each group) (Remember to give clear instructions. Ask ICQ. "are you writing the or speaking?" "Are you introducing yourself or your partner?"