TP 2 - Living at home
A2 (Elementary) level
To introduce and give Ss practice in Present Simple - wh- questions & short answers in the context of living at home
To give Ss semi-controlled speaking practice & the opportunity to practice wh- questions
Procedure (46-57 minutes)
* Ss will help me write the questions from the text ' An Englishman's home is his castle' on the board - 1) Why does Andy live at home? 2) Why do you live at home? 3) What do you think of the situation? I will underline the wh- question words . I will explain that we will look at how the questions are made in more detail
I will ask Ss what the underlined words are (wh- question words). I will ask them how many there are (5 of them) and elicit from the Ss what they are and I will write them on the WB (where, who, why, how and what)
* I will analyse the form of this at the WB with the Ss help - I will ask where the 5 words go in a sentence - they go at the start of the question. I will write 4 questions on the WB with the wh- question missing. I will elicit the missing words from Ss and write them on the WB. I will drill a few for pronunciation. (1 Where are you from? 2 What is his name? 3 Who does he live with? 4 Why do you live at home? * I will then show the form on the WB for 1 & 2 - wh- question + the sentence + ? * For 3 & 4 ... 3. Who does he live with? wh- + does (helping/auxiliary verb) + subject (he/she/it) + verb 1 4. Why do you live at home? wh- + do (helping/auxiliary verb) + subject (I/you/we/they) + verb 1
* I will show them HO 1 and ask them to answer task 1 questions themselves (match the question words with the questions) and then compare with the person next to them. Give the HO 1. * We will then check as a whole class * They will complete task 2 themselves (put the words in order to make questions) and then compare with their partner. We will check as a whole class. I will drill the questions * They will complete task 3 in pairs (ask each other the questions in task 2 & answer them), when they have finished I want a few examples from a few pairs.
* I will give HO 2 (folded to only show the table). * I will model a few questions from the table (eg where do you live?). Ss to repeat * Ss will complete the questions themselves while I monitor * Ss to check their answers on the answer keys on the wall * I will choose a S and interview him/her using the questions
I will put Ss into pairs to interview each other using the questions from the table. They take notes of the answers. I will monitor.
* If there is time - Ss can change the questions to he/she questions, change partners and ask questions about the first person they interviewed. * If time - Ss can write a small profile about each other