To provide gist and detailed reading practice using a text about Being Helped by strangers in the context of Luck
To provide fluency speaking practice in a Telling Stories in the context of Being helped/Helping strangers
To provide fluency and accuracy speaking practice in a conversation in the context of what would you do if ....?
To provide gist and detailed listening practice using a text about Being Helped by strangers in the context of Luck
Procedure (36-52 minutes)
- Put Ss in pairs. - Tell them that they will talk to a partner about what would they do in some situations and why. - Provide Ss with the worksheet.
- Tell Ss that they will read a true story by a writer Bernard Hare, about something that happened to him when he was a student and find out "How was he feeling?" - PW then WC - Put Ss in pairs, tell them to decide what they think happened next. - Elicit some ideas.
- Tell Ss that they will listen and check if they were right. - WC feedback
- Tell Ss that they will listen again and answer the questions. - Peer checking. - WC feedback. - Play it twice if necessary.
- Tell Ss that they are going to read other stories about being helped by strangers. - Put Ss in two groups A and B ask them to read their stories and answer "Who was the stranger?". - WC feedback.
- Tell Ss to read again and answer the questions in groups. - Provide Ss with the answer keys.
- Tell Ss that they are going to share their stories with the other group without looking at it. - Tell them to use the questions they answered in their own stories to get more information. - Ss give their opinion about the stories in pairs then as WC.
- Ss discuss the questions in pairs. - WC feedback.