Reading, a healthy heart
Elementary, A1/A2 level
To provide gist and scan reading practice using a text about a healthy heart in the context of mind and body
To provide fluency speaking practice in a conversation in the context of healthy and unhealthy lifestyle
To provide clarification of healthy and unhealthy lifestyle in the context of mind and body
Procedure (35-45 minutes)
- Students will see some pics and try to make guesses about the teacher. -They try to come up with healthy and unhealthy lifestyle activities
- Students match some healthy and unhealthy activities with some pictures in pairs. - While getting feedback, the teacher teaches the blocking words while checking the answers. - The students will put these activities in the healthy and unhealthy table in pairs. -They check the answers on the board.
- Students will see a picture in order to come up with "heart attack". - They will be given the reading text without the pictures and as gist reading, they should match each paragraph with each picture individually. -They check answers in pairs. - The teacher will ask justification.
- The students will read the text again to answer some questions. - They check their answers in groups. - Justify answers with the teacher.
- The students will get back to the chart they made and start talking about their own lifestyle - In groups, they decide who has the healthiest lifestyle, they introduce that person to the class and will say why he/she is the healthiest person.