Present perfect versus simple past
Elementary, A1/A2 level
To provide clarification and practice of the difference between present perfect and past simple in the context of talking about experience
To provide accuracy speaking practice in a conversation in the context of life experience
To provide gist and scan reading practice using a text titled "I've never been there" in the context of experience
Procedure (35-45 minutes)
- Students will see the picture provided in the reading text and guess what is happening. - In pairs, they talk about the picture and share their ideas.
- Students will read the text and answer one gist question. -They see the answer on the board - They read it again and answer 5 questions in order to be exposed to the TL more. - Check their answers in teams (one student in each team has the answer)
- Students will do a gap-filling activity - Check their answers in pairs. - Come to the board and complete the sentences.
- Students will try to find the difference between simple past and present perfect. - They practice the pronunciation - The form and the difference will be elicited from them.
- The students do a short controlled practice in which they need to circle the correct answer. - They check the answers in pairs. Write them on the board. -The students will do another controlled practice provided in the teacher's book. - They check in pairs
- Each student will be given a card. - They will go around the class and have a conversation with other students, ask them questions and take notes. - They make groups of 3,4 by using colors and report what they heard. - The teacher will monitor and give feedback since it is an accuracy practice.