Vocabulary: provide clarification, review and practice of family lexis in the context of Family Tree
Grammar: provide review and practice of possessive adjectives in the context of introducing family members
Procedure (42-56 minutes)
* Show Ss a photograph of my family on OHP and ask them to guess who are in the photo (my father, mother, aunt, etc). * Introduce my family members who appear in the photo showing the relationship between one relative and another using possessive adjectives: Ex: "This is my uncle Ali. This is his daughter Nada and his son Hassan... etc." * Ask Ss CCQs : - How many males and females do appear in the photo? - How many of my (uncles, cousins, sisters, etc.) do appear in the photo?
* Write on board a gist question regarding the text: - Does this paragraph talk about family or friends? * Tell Ss that now they will read a paragraph and try to answer the question on board. * Give Ss a handout of the Text. * Give Ss 3 minutes to read individually. * Check the answer with the class. * Give Ss a handout of 8 true or false questions for details to be answered in-pairs in 3 min. * Ask Ss to exchange their handouts for peer correction. * Give a whole class feedback on a slideshow.
draw on board three-column table: (name - family member - male/female). * In pairs ask Ss to underline all the family members mentioned in the text. * Elicit from Ss the answers and write them on the board in the table.
- Ask the whole class some CCQs to test their understanding of the family relationships: Ex. : * Is my aunt the sister of my father? * Is my cousin the son of my grandparents? * Is my nephew the daughter of my brother? - From the table elicit and write on board each family member with the word class and stress. - Play the pronunciation drill video and ask Ss to practice coral repetition with the video for the family members.
- Give Ss the Matching exercise worksheet. - Ask Ss to work in-pairs to match each family member with his/her definition. - Remind Ss that they have 5 minutes to finish this exercise. - Ask pairs to exchange their worksheets for peer correction. - On board give a whole class feedback.
- Give Ss the Family Crossword HO. - Ask Ss to do the exercise in-pairs in 5 minutes. - Pairs exchange their worksheets for peer correction. - Show model answer slide on OHP for a whole class feedback.
- Divide the class into 2 groups. - Give Ss clear instructions about the game: * In a box put cards of names family members. * One S at a time come in front of the two teams and pick a card. * S see the name of a family member written of the card and try to describe it to both teams. Ex: She is the daughter of my grandparents./ She is funny and brings me pretty gifts. * The first team to correctly guess the family member wins and scores a point. * Another S come to the front of the class and so on. * The game continues until all cards have been used. the team with the most points at the end of the game wins.