To provide clarification and practice of Used to in the context of Meeting Partners
To provide gist listening practice using a text about love in the context of Meeting Partners
To provide fluency and accuracy speaking practice in a conversation in the context of Meeting Partners
Procedure (41-55 minutes)
- T tells Ss that they are going to tell their partners about a couple they know well. - T gives Ss time to think. - T puts Ss in pairs to share their stories. - WC feedback by asking "Is there a couple who met in unusual circumstances?".
- T tells Ss that they are going to listen to four people talking about where they met their partner and match each one with a place from 1a. - T shows 1a as a reference on the board. - T asks Ss to check in pairs. - WC feedback.
- T gives the transcript of the listening to the Ss. - T asks Ss to underline "used to". - T elicits some answers.
- T writes "We used to go to bars and clubs together on Saturday night. It used to be quite difficult to meet people.". - T asks Ss "When do we use used to?" trying to elicit "old habits" to highlight the meaning. - T asks CCQs "Do we go to the bars and clubs now? No, Did we go to the bars and the clubs in the past? Yes, Did we go only once? No, Did we go regularly? Yes" - T asks Ss what comes after "used to" trying to elicit the word "infinitives or V1". To highlight the form - T asks Ss "How do we make these sentences negative and questions?" To highlight the form. - T tells Ss that Used and to are linked by drawing a line, writing the phonemic transcript, and drill. To highlight the pronunciation.
- T tells Ss that they are going to complete the sentences with used to (+,-, or?) and a verb from the list. - T divides Ss as As and Bs without telling the Ss. - T provides Ss A with A sheets and B with B sheets. - When finished, tells Ss that they are going to read the sentences to each other in pairs and check each other's sentences. T tells Ss that A Ss have Bs' answers and B Ss have As' on the back of their paper.
- T tells Ss that they are going to talk about some inventions and what life used to be like before they existed. - T puts Ss in pairs. - T focuses on the first invention (the electric light) and asks Ss "What did people use to do before it was invented?" T tries to elicit at least one (+) and one (-) answer with used to. - T tells Ss to start talking in pairs about the other inventions.
- T divides the class into two halves. - T tells half of the Ss that they won the lottery a year ago. The other half are reporters. - T tells the reporters to prepare questions to ask the winners about how their lives have changed since winning while the winners think of possible answers. Then, They start. - If time - T tell the Ss to write a report together.