Present Simple lesson
To provide clarification and practice of present simple statements, negatives and questions(first person) in the context of 'work hard, play hard'.
To provide scan and detailed reading practice using a text about Lisa's two jobs in the context of work life.
Procedure (42-54 minutes)
- ask SS 'what day is it today?' - choose a volunteer student and ask her/him to stick the first day of the week on the wall. - SS stick the days on the wall from the first to the last day of the week. - show SS the days: weekday and weekend. - drills the days.
- ask SS some basic present simple questions. - tell them to look at the picture and heading. - discuss with SS - close the picture and play the track 36. - after listening, ask some basic questions about the girl's life.
- elicit which verbs are negative in the box. - SS look at the two sides of the wall. - try to match the pictures with correct verbs. - drill the verbs chorally and individually.
-listen the track 36 and fill in the blanks with the correct verb from the box and underline the adverbs of frequency. - compare the answers in pairs. - play the record as a final check. - ask concept check questions. - ask which sentences they underlined. - write them on the board and show the difference. - divide the students into 4 groups. - give the mixed words of the sentences to with adverbs of frequency to each group. - want them to put the words into correct order to form a sentence. - a student from each group read a sentence and other groups check their sentences.
- put SS into pairs. - first S reads the first paragraph and the second reads the second paragraph.
- monitor SS while reading - take some notes of their pronunciation. - give feedback - drill the selected lines from the notes individually and chorally.
- draw a large question mark on the board to show the focus on questions. - play the track 37 and want SS fill in the blanks. - practice questions and answers in open pairs to correct any mistake. - show the stress and intonation in the yes/no and wh- questions. - drill the questions individually and chorally
- put the SS in pairs - check the language of greeting and thanking and the use of because in replying to why questions. - give a handout included questions. - say one of the student to be Lisa Parsons and other S to interview with her. - SS work in closed pairs and role play the interview.
- monitor SS. - give feedback . - play recording to check their answers.
- play track 39 - SS tick the sentences they hear - put into pairs to check their answers.
- give SS some specific jobs - come in front of the class and describe their routine as if they do a certain job - the rest of the class has to guess what the job is. - ask Yes/No questions.