Architecture old and new
To provide detailed reading practice using a text about architecture old and new in the context of technology
To provide fluency speaking practice in a conversation in the context of architecture and technology
Procedure (52-42 minutes)
- set a context for them to talk about metro stations in Istanbul. - ask them what is their idea about travelling by metro. - what is interesting for them and what is bad about them - which station do they like more and why?
- projects some pictures of Istanbul metro stations. -ask them where is it? in which city? - elicit some key vocabulary - write them on the board - practice the pronunciation - feed them some vocabulary that is blocking -sometimes ask them ccqs in order to provide more clarification - now draw their attention to the pictures of reading - ask them if they know it or have been there before.
- give them the reading tasks with blank topics. - project or write the topics on the board. - give them only three minutes. - ask them to skim the text very fast and put the appropriate topic for each part. - ask icqs: do these parts have a topic? -which topics are you going to put in the blanks? how much time do you have?
- instruct them to do the T/F questions in pairs. - if it's false, tell the class why it is false and correct it. - ask icq s are you going to answer questions? are you going to do it alone? are you going to only say that it's true or false? -monitor - ask each group to answer the question - ask them to justify their reasons
- clarify how they should do the activity. - tell them in the first column you should write about the original station, and in the other column about the new station - do it alone then check in pairs. - ask icqs; are you going to read the whole text? are you going to do it alone or in pairs? -monitor - write the answer key on the board
- specify four categories on the board as building, shops, and restaurants, masterpieces, modern and efficient service. - ask them to think about a famous place in your city and tell your group mates about these features in that place - you have two minute to think about it -ask them icq s - monitor them while they brainstorm - if you still had time ask three of them to report it to the class.