things i'm passionate about
To provide clarification and practice of expressions for likes and dislikes in the context of passions
To provide specific information listening practice using a text about things people are passionate about in the context of expressing feeling
Procedure (65-50 minutes)
- do you remember the passions of the writer of the harry potter? what were they? -now i give you some extracts or short texts about some people i want to read it and guess their passions first alone then check in pairs. -ask icqs: are you going to read them alone or in pairs? alone -are you going to only read the text ? read and guess their passions - monitor students - now check your ideas together - group 1: what do you think paul's passion is? -check others as well - don't tell them whether their answers are correct or not
- now lets check to see if your guesses are true bout these people - instruct them to listen and answer the questions. -ask icqs: - are you going to listen only? no, listen and answer the questions - play the recording - monitor them to make sure that they are on the right track -ask them to check their answers in groups or pairs -give them the audio scripts to check their answers.
- use a sentence as a model: James is crazy about the British Weather. -find other expressions that show feeling in the text, elicit them -write them on the board - ask them to divide them into three categories( positive, negative, neutral) - keen on/ fond of/ adore/ quite like/ can't bear/ cant stand/ don't mind/ not that keen on
- clarify meaning by putting them into categories - elaborate on their form: i like (verb) ice cream/ i am keen(adj) on ice cream, their prepositions - put others in the same categories - choral repetitions( pronunciation)
- give them controlled practice to do in pairs - monitor - check their answers -write 4 sentences about the characters in the listening section, two about their passions and two about something they don't like.(use different expressions in each example) - is there any thing in your life that you feel passionate about? tell the class about it.
- while students are talking, you can keep in mind or write down their problems. -after discussion write them on the board -ask students to correct the errors - you can ask ccq s or use graded discovery if they don't have any idea.