Gözde Demirel TP 3a , Speaking & Listening
Intermediate, B2 level
To provide fluency and accuracy speaking practice in conversations in the context of misunderstandings. By the end of the lesson, students will have improved their speaking skill in by carrying out various tasks.
To provide first gist and then specific, detailed information in the listening practice using an audio about misunderstandings. By the end of the lesson, students will have practised receptive skill by listening to an audio to get specific and detailed information.
Procedure (51-43 minutes)
T tells students a story when she had a misuderstanding and tries to encourage the SS to predict what happened at the end. SS ask T questions to get more information.
- Show students the picture and ask them ; " Where do you think it is ? " " What might be the problem?" - Let volunteers answer
- Give SS the folded hand out and tell them to read the text quickly. - Ss read the text for two minutes and in P/W discuss what happened next - To check the comprehension ask : " How many people were celebrating in thr restaurant? " " Why were they celebrating? " " Why did Johnny Carson go over? " " Who went to pay the bill?" - Nominate SS to share their predictions. - Tell students to unfold their sheet and read the contuniation of the story - Ask SS: " Who actually paid the bill? " " Why did he pay it? " " How much was it? " " Was Johnny Carson angry about the misunderstanding? "
- Tell Ss to cover the text and unfold their handout - Tell them to retell the story using the words in the box in P/W - Nominate stronger SS to retell the story
- Give Ss the vocabulary hand out - Go through the example with the class - Tell them to work on their own and match the sentences. - When finished, get them to check their answers in pairs. - Give the answer key to the students and let them check their answers. - Monitor while they are checking and elicit Ss' answers in F/B. - Tell SS to discuss the meaning of the words in bold in pairs - Monitor when they are sharing ideas and then W/C F/B
- Explain to the class that they are going to listen to four conversations and find out the misunderstanding in each. - Tell them not to worry about hearing every word. - Give them the hand outs and play the audio - Monitor and check their understanding - Tell them to check their answers in pairs - Elicit the problems in the conversation in F/B session.
- Tell SS that they are going to listen to the recording again, this time to answer the related questions.Inform them that you are going to pause the recording between the conversations to let them some time to write the answers. - Let them examine the questions for a minute and play the audio. - Monitor the class and check if eveyone can answer the questions. - Tell them to check their answers in pairs. - Play the recording again if necessary. - Give students the answer key and monitor if they could answer the questions correctly.
- Group the SS in 3 or 4. - Tell them that in their groups they are going to tell each other their stories of misunderstandings, - Remind them to take notes about each other's stories - Monitor them when they are telling stories and taking notes - In F/B session, let volunteers take the lead - Nominate other students to speak as well.
- Let students unfold the last part of the page. - Do the first one as example - Tell them to work on their own and complete the expressions with the words from the box. - Pair check before W/C F/B.