To provide practice using proper phrases in the context of misunderstandings.
To provide accuracy and fluency with drilling and role-play in the context of misunderstandings.
Procedure (39-45 minutes)
- T divides the class into four groups and gives the instructions. - T gives the situations to ss and asks them to find proper phrases for the situations. - T tries to elicit correct phrases. If ss cannot find the correct phrases, they will have an idea about the situations for the next stages of the lesson.
- T gives the instructions and the folded HO's afterwards. - Ss work in pairs to match the expressions and then T gives the answer key and drills the expressions. - Ss match the sentences and Qs. They check in pairs. T elicits the correct answers.
- T gives the instructions and then the Ho's. - T reads the example with class. Ss work alone and they check the answers in pairs. - T elicits answers. - Ss work in pairs to think about what A says next in each converstion. T monitors and supports. - Ss read dialogues in pairs. T monitors and nominates good examples to read to class.
-T elicits "reformulation". (T asks about Einstein and writes to the WB "E=mc2", and asks ss, when they come up with "formula", T asks how do you make this vocab as a noun in different version? If ss cannot find "formulation", T gives hints and asks again if you want to rewrite the formulation how do you write?) -T makes the first one as an example and T elicits why speaker uses this phrase. -Ss work alone to underline reformulation phrases. - T elicits the answers.
- T gives the instructions and then the Ho's. - Ss work in pairs to role-play the situations. - Ss switch roles to role-play. T nominates pairs to perform for class.
- T gives the instructions and tells the ss to work with different partner. - Student A thinks of a problem and begins the role-lay. When they finished, they swap. - T monitors and notes errors for later correction. - T boards errors and examples of good language monitoring. - Ss work out which are good and bad examples and T corrects them if necessary.