Adverbs in adverts
Intermediate (B1) level
To provide clarification and practice of adverbs in the context of short advertisements
To provide fluency speaking practice in a conversation in the context of adverts
Procedure (34-45 minutes)
* Ask students to look at the first slide and tell you what they are * Ask students to discuss in their groups what message each picture is trying to convey and share their ideas with the classroom afterward. * Once the feedback is carried out, show them the second slide and elicit some ideas to complete the sentences on the slide.
* Hand out HO01. Give them some time to read on their own and later on, elicit what each one is advertising * Pre-teach the blocking vocabulary
* Ask students to underline all the adverbs in the text * Project the third slide onto the board and ask students to voluntarily highlight some of the adverbs
* Drill the pronunciation of each adverb in case students have any difficulty in that specific area * Show the fourth slide and ask students to answer the questions.
* Hand out HO02 and explain that some verbs and adverbs always go together * elicit some examples and ask students to do the rest in pairs * Next, play a game of charades by dividing the class into three groups and asking them to act out the cards you place on their desks face down * They could continue until there are no cards left on the table
* Hand out HO03 and point out the aim of the exercise is to practice adverbs without -ly * Students first do the exercise on their own and then check with their group * Play the recording so that they could check their answers and ask for any further questions they might have
* Ask students to talk about their most important possession * Instruct them to use at least 3 adverbs while speaking * After they are done with the activity, ask them to stand up and walk around the classroom and report back the most interesting story. Tell them to make sure their partner has used all the required adverbs.