What time is it?
Elementary, A2 level
To provide accuracy and fluency on telling the time
To provide specific information about telling the time in English
Procedure (40-47 minutes)
- Introduce the subject of telling the time by asking some questions: * What time is it? * What time do you start your day? * What is your favourite Tv programme? * What time does your class/ favorite TV show start? - T elicits some answers
- set the students in pairs. - The pairs complete the missing time in exercise 1. - T monitors and takes notes - The ss probably has some problems with to, past, quarter to, quarter past. - Play the track 33 to check their answers. -Model and drill the times - Give feedback - Play the video about the time. - Show the ss the cartoon clock and go over the time patterns again. - Give the ss a blank template on time. - T tell time ans the Ss try to draw the hands. -Students check their answers. - Monitor and give feedback.
- T gives feedback about pronunciation
- pass out the blank copies of clocks to the Ss. - They will try to draw hands for the clocks. - Play track 34 (two times) - The ss swaps the papers and check their answers. - give the copy of right answers -Play the track again - Model and drill the time
- T checks pronunciation and accuracy about telling time.
- Get the cartoon clock - Set it for different times as in the exercise 2 - Nominate a student to read the clock as in the exercise - The ss reads the time - Model and drill the time - Invite a student to the board and give the clock - The S sets the clock as in the example and nominates another student - Drill the time in each time with the whole class - the exercise goes on - Monitor and give feedback
- T checks pronunciation and drills again if it is needed.
- Pass out the copy for exercise 4 - Give the Ss time to read the first dialogue. - Play the track 35 for the first conversation. - The Ss fill the gaps - T elicits some answers - Play the rest of the conversation. - The ss fill the gaps. _ The ss check their answers - Play the track again - Monitor the ss
- The Ss listens again for feedback.
- The Ss are set in pairs to practice the dialogues - T gives time to practice - T monitors and takes notes - T nominates some pairs to read the dialogues aloud. - T checks the pronunciation and gives feedback.
- T checks the pronunciation and accuracy.
-T passes out the cards to the students - T models the game with a student - T nominates a student to start - The S reads the card aloud. - Other students must listen for their turn - The exercise goes on. - T monitors and takes notes.
- T gives feeadback to check accuracy.