Yousef Almohamad - Teaching Practice 5
To provide clarification and practice of Past Tenses in the context of The Power of Nature
To provide clarification of Natural Events in the context of The Power of Nature
To provide gist and detailed listening practice using a text about Natural Events in the context of The Power of Nature
Procedure (43-57 minutes)
- T shows "The Power of Nature" title on the board. - T gets Ss to discuss what they think about the title in pairs. - WC feedback.
- T elicits lexis from the Ss by showing them pictures and asking them "what is this?". - T provides the Ss with matching exercises to check their understanding of the meaning. - WC checking. - WC drilling. - If necessary, T writes the transcript of difficult vocabulary on the board, drills, and shows where the stress is.
- T tells Ss that they are going to listen to Fran and Antonio talking about natural events. - T hands the questions to Ss and makes sure they understand them. - T plays the recording. - T asks Ss to check in pairs. - WC feedback.
- T asks Ss to discuss the questions in pairs. - T tells the Ss that they are going to listen again to the same conversations and answer the questions "plays a second time if necessary". - T asks Ss to check in pairs. - WC feedback.
- T Shows Ss the sentences in Ex. 4 (a) and asks them to answer the questions (1,2,3) to focus on the meaning. - WC feedback. - T draws a timeline on the board and asks the Ss to place the three verb tenses on the timeline to check their understanding. - T Writes on the board "Past Simple regular ending ed, Past Continuous was/were + ing, Past Perfect had + Past Participle." - T asks Ss to match the verbs in Ex.4 with the three past tenses above to focus on the form. - T hands Fran's listening script and asks Ss to find and underline the negative and question forms of the tenses above. - T elicits the forms from the Ss and writes them on the board, then highlights the forms by asking questions. - WC drilling focusing on the stress of the sentences.
- T divides Ss into pairs "student A and student B" - T hands one student A sheet and the other B sheet. - T asks A Ss to circle the correct the correct verb forms in Fran's story. B Ss do the same in Antonio's story. - T gives A Ss Antonio's transcript and B Ss Fran's transcript and asks Ss to read the transcripts to each other and check their answers while listening.
- T provides Ss speaking sheet with questions on them. - T tells Ss they have to choose two stories and tell their partners by answering the questions.