Yousef Almohamad - Teaching Practice 5
To provide clarification and practice of Past Tenses in the context of The Power of Nature
To provide gist and detailed listening practice using a text about Natural Events in the context of The Power of Nature
To provide clarification of Natural Events in the context of The Power of Nature
Procedure (43-57 minutes)
- T shows "The Power of Nature" title on the board. - T gets Ss to discuss what they think about the title in pairs. - WC feedback.
- T elicits lexis from the Ss by showing them pictures and asking them "what is this?". - T provides the Ss with matching exercises to check their understanding of the meaning. - WC checking. - WC drilling. - If necessary, T writes the transcript of difficult vocabulary on the board, drills, and shows where the stress is.
- T tells Ss that they are going to listen to Fran and Antonio talking about natural events. - T hands the questions to Ss and makes sure they understand them. - T plays the recording. - T asks Ss to check in pairs. - WC feedback.
- T asks Ss to discuss the questions in pairs. - T tells the Ss that they are going to listen again to the same conversations and answer the questions "plays a second time if necessary". - T asks Ss to check in pairs. - WC feedback.
- T Shows Ss the sentences in Ex. 4 (a) and asks them to answer the questions (1,2,3) to focus on the meaning. - WC feedback. - T draws a timeline on the board and asks the Ss to place the three verb tenses on the timeline to check their understanding. - T Writes on the board "Past Simple regular ending ed, Past Continuous was/were + ing, Past Perfect had + Past Participle." - T asks Ss to match the verbs in Ex.4 with the three past tenses above to focus on the form. - T hands Fran's listening script and asks Ss to find and underline the negative and question forms of the tenses above. - T elicits the forms from the Ss and writes them on the board, then highlights the forms by asking questions. - WC drilling focusing on the stress of the sentences.
- T divides Ss into pairs "student A and student B" - T hands one student A sheet and the other B sheet. - T asks A Ss to circle the correct the correct verb forms in Fran's story. B Ss do the same in Antonio's story. - T gives A Ss Antonio's transcript and B Ss Fran's transcript and asks Ss to read the transcripts to each other and check their answers while listening.
- T provides Ss speaking sheet with questions on them. - T tells Ss they have to choose two stories and tell their partners by answering the questions.