Final: P1, Q1 ( Present Simple Lesson Plan)
Adult Beginners level
Grammar: to provide clarification, review and practice of first person singular/ plural form of present simple (affirmative, negative and interrogative) in the context of daily routines.
Reading: to provide gist and detailed reading practice using a text about daily routine.
Procedure (44-62 minutes)
* Start the class welcoming my Ss and play a video song about daily routines. * After the video, discuss with Ss the habits in common between the video and their own daily routines.
* Expose Ss to the vocabulary that might hinder their understanding (in Arabic"MT" & in English "TL") "based on the grammar translation method" * Write on board a gist question "Does this daily routine belong to a man or a woman?". * Give Ss a handout of the text and ask them to read individually about a daily routine of somebody and answer the question on the board. * After reading, answer the question with the whole class. * Give Ss a handout of MCQ detailed questions and ask Ss to answer these questions in-pairs. * Ask Ss to exchange their answers with each other for peer correction. * Give a whole class feedback.
* Ask Ss to work in-pairs to underline the verbs used in the text to express daily routines. * Show the text on OHP. * Ask CCQs covering function and keywords of present simple and elicit Ss' response: Ex.: - Are these verbs done only once or repeatedly? - Are there any changes or additions applied on the verbs? - What are the words used in the text to express the repetition of these actions?
* Write down the marker sentence on board: "I usually get up at six o'clock in the morning" * Elicit from Ss and write down on the board: - The first person present simple form in (affirmative, negative and interrogative). - Keywords of the tense (adverbs of frequency). * Drill the marker sentence (affirmative, negative and interrogative form) with the whole class.
* In-pairs ask Ss to answer MCQ worksheet in five minutes. * Pairs exchange their answer for peer correction. * T gives a whole class feedback. * Show the correct answer sheet on OHP.
* Ask Ss to work in-pairs to make and write down a conversation about daily habits using the list of verbs in the worksheet. * Run a model conversation as an example for Ss and write it on the board as a reference. * Remind Ss that they have 5 minutes to make the conversation. * Monitor Ss' practice. * Allow Ss exchange their dialogues for peer correction. * Give a whole class feedback and error correction.
* Divide Ss into groups of 4. * Ask Ss to design a role-play as a riddle for the rest of the class. * Each group perform a scene of a conversation that goes on somewhere about speakers' winter habits, likes and dislikes. * the rest of the class has to guess the relationship between the speakers. * T perform Ss a role-play model in front of the class. * Remind Ss that they have 7 minutes to design the role-play and 2 minutes to perform. * Ask Ss ICQs to check there understanding of instructions. * Monitor Ss' progress and provide any necessary support.. * Each group perform their role-play to the class. * After Ss finish all their role-plays, T gives a whole class feedback.