PRESENT SIMPLE QUESTIONS AND NEGATIVES LESSON
To provide practice and clarification of Present Simple Questions and Negative Forms through controlled practices and closed pair activities.
To provide specific information about the two texts on Claudia and Andrew.
Procedure (34-42 minutes)
- Show the picture of Andrew - Elicit what SS knows about Andrew. - Project the questions on the smart board "What does Andrew do?" "Where does he come from?" - T emphasizes the question forms (Yes/No or Wh questions) - T emphasizes the negative form on the board. - T nominates some SS. - T drills chorally and individually -
- T hands out task 1 (p.15) - T gives students some time to read - SS form pairs. - SS complete the task 1 - T monitors. - SS check each others answers. - T drills and nominates some students. - T throws a paper ball to the nominated SS. - SS answer the questions on the board.
- T hands out some questions about some SS from the class. - Where is Atiye from? - What does Emre do? - Does he live in Izmir? - T turns on a classical music. - SS form pairs and ask and answer the questions. - T monitors.- - T takes notes while monitoring.
- T kneels down in front of SS and - Give feedback to SS. - Some students might finish early, hand out extra questions and encourage SS to participate.
- T reviews the present simple third person "s" and "doesn't" - T models some words and drills. - T introduces and models the negative and question forms. - T drills individually. - T uses backchaining cards for longer sentences. "come from" "does he come from" "where does he come from" - T steps in each word until SS create a fluent sentence. - T projects the questions on the smart board. - T hands out grammar and pronunciation part 1 and some more added sentences. - SS forms pairs and check each others answers. - T monitors.
- T gives feedback to SS. - SS corrects where necessary.
- T projects on the boards "does" and "doesn't" - T drills and SS tries to pronounce correctly. - SS listen to the pronunciations. - SS form pairs and practice the pronunciation - T monitors and gives feedback. - T projects part 2 of the grammar box. - T asks students what the phonetic letters are, if they have ever seen them, if yes where. - T projects a phonetic chart and let the students listen to the pronunciation of different vowels and consonants. - T drills and models where necessary.
- SS forms 4 groups. - T hands out Task 2. - T projects the questions on the Smart Board. - SS have some time to read the questions. - SS listen to the task and complete the gaps. - SS check each others answers. - T monitors and takes notes.
- T gives feedback. - Drills and corrects where necessary.
- T hands out a text about Claudia. - SS forms pairs and reads the texts carefully. - T models with a student. - T turns on a classical music. - SS asks and answers questions about Claudia. - T monitors and give feedback.