Teaching Practice 4
To provide clarification and practice of Furniture in the context of My First Flat
To provide accuracy and fluency speaking practice in a conversation in the context of My First Flat
To provide gist and specific information listening practice using a text about Furniture in the context of My First Flat
To provide scan reading practice using a text about Furniture in the context of My First Flat
Procedure (35-51 minutes)
- T writes "There is..... There are...." on the board. - T looks around and makes two or three sentences, eg There is a whiteboard. There are eight tables. - T tells Ss to look around the classroom for a few seconds then asks them to give you as many sentences as they can to describe the room. - T shows Ss a picture and elicit the words "rooms, and furniture" by pointing at the picture and asking "what is this?".
- T shows pictures and elicits what rooms they are. - T elicits the name of the pieces of the furniture in the pictures (as many as possible). - T plays the recording and gets Ss to repeat. - T provides Ss with matching exercises to check their understanding. - T shows answers on the pictures. - If necessary - T writes difficult words on the board with their transcripts, highlights the stress and drills.
- T writes "Shelly, and Claudia" on the board. - T explains that Shelly and Claudia are students and they want to rent a flat. - T asks Ss to discuss in pairs "which flat they think they will rent - Flat A or Flat B?"
- T plays the recording. - Ss listen and say which flat Shelly and Claudia decide to rent.
- T writes " Do you think they like their new flat? Why/Why not?. - T asks Ss to discuss in pairs.
- T asks Ss to read the questions in ex. 1. - T plays the recording "1.52" and asks Ss to answer the questions. - T asks Ss to discuss answers in pairs. - WC feedback.
- T asks Ss to look at Flat A and underline false information in the dialogue. - T asks Ss to compare their answers with a partner. - WC checking.
- T puts SS into pairs. - T asks Ss to play the role of Shelley and her dad. - T monitors carefully and helps with any problems. - If time - T asks Ss to swap the roles and practice again.