Teaching Practice 3
To provide clarification of Prepositions of Place in the context of houseswap
To provide scan reading practice using a text about describing where you live in the context of houseswap
To provide accuracy and fluency speaking practice in a conversation in the context of hou
Procedure (37-50 minutes)
- T asks Ss to look back at the five descriptions of houses of the Houseswap webpage. - T asks Ss to underline all the propositions of place and the nouns that follow them.
- T writes "in, on, at" on the board. - T elicits a list of rules under each preposition.
- T shows the Ss presentation 1. - T elicits the prepositions from the Ss by pointing at the pictures and asking "where is the ball?" and writes them on the board. - T elicits some examples from the Ss and writes them on the board. - T asks Ss what comes after the prepositions to elicit the word "noun" from them. - T shows model sentences and drills with the Ss.
- T asks Ss to complete the texts with the prepositions. - T takes WC/FB
- T models the activity briefly by describing someone in the class, using the sentence prompt. - T asks Ss to guess who they are describing. - T asks Ss to choose a person in the class, and complete the sentences with the information about the person. - T puts Ss into pairs. - T asks Ss to read the sentences to their partners. - T tells Ss that they have to guess who they are describing. - T monitors and helps if necessary. - If time - T asks Ss to read the sentences to the whole class and Ss have to guess.
- T explains to Ss that they are going to take turns to exchange information with their partner about a text where someone lives. - T demonstrates the activity with one of Ss. - T explains to Ss that some of the sentences on each worksheet are incomplete and it is necessary to ask questions in order to find the missing information. - T writes the first incomplete sentence from worksheet B on the board: "Gerry Thompson lives in __________." - T elicits the correct question from the class: "Where does Gerry Thompson live?" Then asks a S with worksheet A for the answer. Write the answer in the gapped sentence. - T does the above step two or three times, if necessary. - T asks Ss to prepare questions before they start speaking. (2-3) - T hands out the answer key for the questions and asks Ss to check them before they speak. - T asks Ss to start asking and answering in pairs. - T tells Ss that they can check their answers with each other. - T goes through the answer with the class as an open class activity.