Speaking Lesson- Fast Food
Intermediate, Adults level
To provide fluency and accuracy speaking practice in a conversation in the context of fast food
To provide gist listening practice using a video about ordering a fast food meal
To provide practice of new vocubualry words in the context of fast
Procedure (45-55 minutes)
- Write the names of these fast food chains on the white board. - Pizza Hut, Dominos, Little ceasers - Mcdonald's- BurgerKing - Hardees - KFC - Subway - Dunkin' Donuts, House of Donuts - CoCa-Cola, Pepsi, 7up - Ask students if they like these type of foods ?
- Elicit from students their opinions through questions: - Are these choices healthy ? - Why do we like these type of foods? - Do they take a long time to prepare? - Ask students to categorize the list on the board into sweet and sour - Ask students also to add more to the list
- Check the understanding of what is common in a fast food meal, Ask for CCq's - Are fast food meals expensive ? - Do we usually eat in or out of the restaurant ? - Set in pairs, ask Ss to tell each other about their latest fast food experience. They have to mention the quality , price and time-served
- Ask students to watch a video about ordering a fast food meal - Give students instructions to write down all the new vocabulary heard in the video. - Ss will be divided in pairs, a role play will take place between the waiter and the guest. - Each pair will order their meal to the other student and vise versa Ex: Waiter: Hi, Can I take your order ? Guest: Yes, i would like to order a double cheese hamburger with a large fires and coke ? Waiter : Would you like any condiments ? Guest : Yes,I would like some ketchup -T will act as the chef and will take all the orders down with the names. - T will listen carefully to the pronunciation and will encourage peer correction.
- In Groups, ask students to use their imagination in designing a new menu for their fast food chain. - Giving clear instructions to the class with limited time - Groups with minimal pronunciation errors, highest accuracy and most vocabulary used will receive a gift card - Ss need to discuss the five main items with a suitable price. - After the design, each group would present explaining to the whole class the " hot item" on the menu. - Ask Ss to vote on the best menu